humming and vibration from the air intake and high idle

brandywine11297

it just started today. i recharged the ac at school today. got home then later on, i ran to get some grub. on the way home i noticed the car was idling a bit high. got to a red light, put it in nuetral and the idle went up to about 2500 rpm. got it home and popped the hood. now at idle (which is rather high) there is a loud humming sound, and if you touch the air intake tube you can feel a vibration. when i turn off the ignition the rpm gauge rapidly drops to zero and a couple of seconds the car shuts off after making a loud honking like sound. the car runs fine while i am driving down the road, except for the fact i can run down the road at about 30 mph and not even have my foot on the gas. i use this car as a daily driver and it only has 68,000 miles on it. help needed as soon as possible.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

A quick search of the exact humming and high idle will tell you the answer. Change the IAB and you are golden.

Chris

can the part be removed and cleaned?
i used alldata to look it up, and it gave me a cleaning procedure, but in a thread on here it says it cannot be cleaned.

If there was just a problem with the idle it could. Since the spring is getting weak, you are hearing the valve bounce off of the spring. Because of that, NO, it can not be cleaned. You can try, but you will waste some time figuring out that when you put it back together that it works for a few minutes and then it goes right back to what it was doing.

Chris

got the new iac on order. pick it up at 7:30 in the morning. that will give me enough time to put it on and get to school by 9:00. i looked inside the part after i took it off, and the diaphram (looks kind of like an accordion) was broken into 3 pieces. will tell ya'll the outcome after i get to school.
did i mention that i am taking classes to be an automotive service tech?
well if not, i just did. lol
thanx for all the help that has been given. ya'll are a great bunch of guys.

Look again. That is the spring. The valve closes in the same direction as the spring and opens to allow air from one side/hole of the valve to the other. If it is broken, then you can obviously see the problem. Its cool though, you will see this agian and you will know what the problem is.

Chris

got the new one. went to school, and it runs great. no high idle now.
the new one has a solid plastic plunger in it instead of the accordion shaped one. thanx for all the help.

Schweet. However, you will start to run into problems if you continue to use aftermarket parts that are electronics. They are junk and should be replaced with Ford parts. IAB's are not that bad, but stay away from MAFs, Alternators, crank and cam sensors, TPS, etc. There are a few that I do not have THAT big of a problem with, but I still put Ford O2s in my cars.

Chris

Back