The best way to change plugs?

jjm983

I want to change my plugs and wires but it looks like a huge chore to get them out. Can someone tell me what to take off and what not to take off to get to the plugs the best way I can. Thanks

plugs... ugh!

Good luck to ya! For me, It was easiest by far to go from underneath for the driver's side, but I ended up using my spring-lock release tools to unhook the fuel and a/c (mine had leaked out already, so no feelings hurt..) to get easier access to the passenger side. May want to do a search in the forums to see what other tactics we loyal owners have resorted to..:D

Eric

Access to a lift?

I did all mine from the bottom and didn't take anything off:D

Goodluck with everything!

Tom

I did mine from both the top and bottom. I did the lay on the ground with the SC jacked up and that sucked. I used a lift and that was fine but you have to wait for the engine to cool. Now I change mine from the top only in about 30 minutes. The most difficult plug to get to is the #4 plug. It is not the plug that is difficult to change it is getting the wire boot off then back on. Definitely suggest using dielectric grease when installing the boots.

Another thing that makes it easy is teflon IC gaskets. The best $20 I ever spent on the SC. When you can remove the upper IC pipe, it makes getting to #4 a lot easier.

Ed

Definitly get some IC gaskets.....

You can take the IC tubes off to make changing the plugs on the DS a lot easier.....

then you don't have to worry as much about a vacuum leak when you re-install them.....

I also remove the AC compressor and lay it over to one side to make the PS a little easier.....

Definitly get some IC gaskets.....

You can take the IC tubes off to make changing the plugs on the DS a lot easier.....

then you don't have to worry as much about a vacuum leak when you re-install them.....

I also remove the AC compressor and lay it over to one side to make the PS a little easier.....

Yeah undo the four bolts, remove the belt, and pull it toward the passenger side headlight, dont d/c it!! Your first time you will cuss alot, and have bloody hands, and it will probably take a little while, just be creative and a swivel socket is also very nice!

ive changed all 6 plugs from the bottom a few times had pretty much no probs, now i do have skinny arms and fingures....

this was also im my drive way on jack stands still it wasnt to bad first time about an hour 3-4 time about 30min.. ether way i think the bottom is the easiest for me...

I have been told that the engine has to be removed on my 92 SC to change the one spark plug is this not the case??? More info PLEASE!!

Thats BS dude!!!

I have been told that the engine has to be removed on my 92 SC to change the one spark plug is this not the case??? More info PLEASE!!

Just go from the bottom and don't remove anything, don't touch ic tubes or anything else:)

Tom

Well I guess that's one way to do it :rolleyes:! After your removing the engine, you could paint the engine bay, do head gaskets, change the balancer, exhaust upgrade, SC porting, and IC gaskets too :D. But seriously, most of them can be accessed from the bottem. If I had to remove the engine from a car to change the plugs, I'd get ride of it.

From the bottom, man. I know it sounds like too much hassle, but it is SO much easier once you get your bearings.

Get drunk while your buddy does them :eek:
No, but seriously they are a pita, but can be done. I had a mechanic do mine when it was stock and he charged me $200 and said he would never do that again for less than $500. Now I removed the ac and have a custom front mount ic and changing plugs is a breeze, but still not as easy as my brother's 85gt. Many seem to do them from the bottom, but acting like a contorsionist and losing a few pieces of flesh you can do them from up top.

Mark

I went from the top with a swivel and dropped the A/C compressor and let it hang - got all six done with a friend in about 15 minutes with air tools.

Back