Ignition lock cylinder......

ecyrbh

OK I already searched about this but didnt see anything so far......Has anyone ever tried to swap the tumbler pins from an old lock cyl. to a new one to keep the same key for both doors and the ignition.My ignition lock cyl. is going wacky because I have to wiggle the key to get it out.Sometimes it gets cocked sideways in the cylinder and it makes the door chime keep dinging.I have to make sure the ears are lined up with the key to get it out.Other times the key wont go in easily at all.I'm cheap and dont really want to take it to a locksmith to have all 3 of them matched if I can do it myself.Any hints guys.........

I'd be interested to find out as well. Although I suppose it won't really help me at this point. What do you think a lock smith would charge to re-key a new ignition lock cylinder? The replacement ford lock cylinder is worn out in mine, so they don't match to begin with, but would sure be nice to get matching ones again. My understanding was the dealer should be able to but the ignition key to match the old door locks, something about using different cut points. But the local one here had no clue.

My understanding was the dealer should be able to but the ignition key to match the old door locks, something about using different cut points. But the local one here had no clue.

That is correct. On the 96 and older T-Birds that have what Ford calls a "10 cut" key, and the replacement ignition cylinders come with new keys that are partially cut. The dealer needs your key code, or to measure your original key, to order one of five choices for the ign. cylinder. Once they have the proper one, they can cut the balance of the new keys to match the code for your original door cylinders. So you will have a new, different key for the vehicle, but it will work with your old door cylinders when done properly.

cheers
Ed N.

I have replaced a door handle and kept my original lock cylinder before. It was on the 89-93 style handle. Wasn't that hard to do. If you open your door, there is a clip that holds the handle in on the back side of the door by the door latch. Take that off and the door panel, and you'll figure it out from there.

That is correct. On the 96 and older T-Birds that have what Ford calls a "10 cut" key, and the replacement ignition cylinders come with new keys that are partially cut. The dealer needs your key code, or to measure your original key, to order one of five choices for the ign. cylinder. Once they have the proper one, they can cut the balance of the new keys to match the code for your original door cylinders. So you will have a new, different key for the vehicle, but it will work with your old door cylinders when done properly.

cheers
Ed N.
Just to add to what Ed stated. Some dealers are too lazy to match up your existing key to detemine which key code is needed. I didn't have any luck locally and went with the Ford parts guy that is over at tccoa. I mailed him a copy of my key and he sent me a new ignition cylinder that worked with my doors.

OK I already searched about this but didnt see anything so far......Has anyone ever tried to swap the tumbler pins from an old lock cyl. to a new one to keep the same key for both doors and the ignition.My ignition lock cyl. is going wacky because I have to wiggle the key to get it out.Sometimes it gets cocked sideways in the cylinder and it makes the door chime keep dinging.I have to make sure the ears are lined up with the key to get it out.Other times the key wont go in easily at all.I'm cheap and dont really want to take it to a locksmith to have all 3 of them matched if I can do it myself.Any hints guys.........

Bryce,

When I was repairing the fire damage in my 90 XR7, I took the replacement column to that lock shop on Landa, more or less across from the Handy Andy. I had him key that cylinder to the original key. He fixed me up for around $35. Wish I could remember the name of the place, but you should be able to find it; they're in a small strip plaza.

Good Luck,

JD

Yeah,I know the place,After looking at my new cyl,I think that is the route I'm going to take.....Thanks All & JD

I just fixed one of these today. I went to the Ford dealer and they only had the "A" code and said their machine to cut the key was broke. The codes are "A, B, C, D, or E". The code refers to the depth of the #6 tumbler station on the key. Mine turned out to need the "B" code, but they were going to have to order that and wasn't going to do any good since they their machine (which the guy said would stamp out the key) was broken. So, he called a local key and lock shop and they said they could just rework the cylinder to match my existing key. So that's what I did. I came back and installed it and works great and also unlocks door. (although I never unlock the door with the key since I have the remote).

Motorcraft part # SW2396
Ford part #F3DZ-11582-A
Cost = $76.40

The lock shop charged me $20 to rework the new cylinder to match my existing key. It took the guy about 10 minutes or less.

If you've got time, Rockauto sells this part for $39.79 (plus shipping).

Note...my SC is a '95...so the part # is good for '94 and '95. You'll have to verify part # for earlier models, but I'm guessing you can do the same thing that I explained here.

Good luck,

David

Last edited:
Back