Temperature gauge fluctuates Low & High

breadsnob1

Hi guys! It's me again. I just want to say thanks to everyone for helping me with my IAC Valve.

*** NEW PROBLEM **

This is not actually new it's been happening for about a month. The car stays cool for about 20 minutes, then my gauge starts to fluctuate. It goes from being relatively cool to relatively hot, and then back down again. with cool being say 1/4 of the way up the gauge and hot being 4/4 all the way, it goes from basically 1/4 of the gauge on the cool side to 3/4 of the gauge on the hot side. I'm afraid it may be the beginning signs of my head gaskets going, but then again maybe not. I'm not losing any coolant, and I don’t seem to have any power loss.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR GREAT AND INSIGHTFUL HELP!!

Scott Hickey
American Mathematical Society
201 Charles Street
Providence, RI 02904

sph@ams.org
401-455-4129
fax: 401-455-4046
www.ams.org

I'd change the temperature sender first given your lack of other indications of a problem. The ECT for the gage is the one at the thermostat.

My first thought is that you have air pockets in the cooling system.

Could be a flakey gauge or sending unit, though, I reckon. When it goes "high", is the engine really hotter? If the gauge is reading 3/4 you should be able to feel the extra heat just by opening the hood

Cheers
DD

air pocket

I am thinking air pocket, as well.....

Burp the system and see if the problem clears up....

Hi guys, i dont think it's an air pocket. I've "burped" the system completey using the bleeder on the motor and there was virtually no air in the lines.

Thanks for the input!

i have the same problem too.

the gauge needle stays around the coon zone. between the "N" and "O"

and then shoots up past the "M" on the temp gauge. usually happens while stopped and in drive.

should i check for the same problems that were listed above?

thanks!

Same thing happens to my car. It didn't for a week or so after I got it tuned, but it's back now. I think I'm going to try what Duffy said and change the sender, because my "Check Gauge" light comes on when the needle gets barely over the "M" on the hot side.:confused::confused:

I just changed my ECT sensor this weekend, and the gauge parks itself at the "M", even when it was on the dyno in 90 degree weather. Problem solved *thumbs up*.

Last edited:
Back