Suspension rebuild

1owner89

Currently I’m going to change out the following
Lower control arms (uppers were done already)
All 4 shocks KYB GR2
All 4 sway bar end links

Everything else seems really tight still but other than the bushings on the steering rack and upper control arms all is original. Are there any other bushings etc. that I need to be looking at/changing while I have it all apart?

Thanks.

Front suspension stut rod bushings to arm and to frame. I would also replace the sway bar to frame bushings front and rear.

Check your steering rag joint and shaft for play. Besides that, and what rzimmerl said, it sounds like you have it covered.

Sway bar bushings have given me issues on both ends of the car. Make sure you get the right ones and I do not suggest using poly replacements.

Hey Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that the rag joint has also been replaced by a Flaming river u-joint so I'm good there.

One last question.

I found that the size of the 89 front sway bar is 1.2" and rear is 1.1"

The sway bar bushing sizes I have found have been 1 1/8, 1 1/16, 1 3/32 and some sized in mm. What would be the best fit for my 89?

Thanks again.

Did you measure those bars or going off of some published information? Sure the bars have never been changed?

Are the TRW upper and SC lower control arms discontinued? I checked Advanced Auto Parts web site and they don't have them listed anymore! :(

Joe

I just ordered a set of TRW LCA's from my local Advanced Auto. They used to carry them in the warehouse and had one day delivery. Not anymore!!!!! Looks as though they are moving away from TRW parts. Might want to get them while you can.

Interestingly I also bought a set of 93 and up end links (TRW) and they did not come with the hex headed studs which may make them a problem to install and remove later. Perhaps MOOG's quality issues are moving into the TRW line now.

Moog bought out TRW from what I understand. I just replaced my upper control arms about a month ago. They were labeled TRW from Partsamerica.com but when I got them they had Moog ball joints and boots along with no TRW stamp. So that says to me that Moog did buy TRW.

Sorry....you got wrong info. Both TRW and MOOG are owned by Federal Mogul. Federal Mogul bought TRW a while back.

We'll not to far off though. None the less it will be hard to find the TRW parts. I ordered mine from partsamerica.com and they ended up being Moogs. No TRW stamp or anything so I have no idea if you will even be able to find them anymore.

Did you measure those bars or going off of some published information? Sure the bars have never been changed?

I'm just going on some info I found on a search here but not crawled under to measure yet. I guess I should. It's whatever size came original on an 89 auto from the showroom floor cause it's been mine ever since. I've been able to find the SC specific arms on rockauto.com watch me order and get an email that their unavaliable.

I tried to get TRW end links for my 97 t-bird this weekend and they only had one that they could order but had plenty of the Moog for $10 more each. I'm thinking Advanced is going Moog only.

Back