16s vs 15s

seawalkersee

Which would weigh less? With the same (we will say 26" tire O.D.) I am sure the 15s would weigh less with stock t-bird wheels. If this is the case, why do people run 16s? Are there any advantages with one over the other?

Chris

depends on rim and tire weights...Usually you run a 16 or larger to clear bigger brakes or if you have rims you already like orrrr if you like the stock rim look and you had 16's already

I figured as much but wanted to know. I could care less about the way it looks as it is going down the track. I just want the lightest setup for the least amount of money.

Chris

For drag racing our cars, 15" would be best if you do have the stock brakes still, no clearance problems. Rubber is (generally) lighter than metal, so for the same overall wheel & tire package dimensions, the smaller diameter wheels with more sidewall on the rubber will usually be lighter.

cheers
Ed N.

It all depends!!!

You can take several different style MN12 wheels and they will all weigh somewhat different. Give or take 1lb or 2lb. Same from 16" to 15" wheels.

Drag radial tires are heavier than normal DOT approved bias ply tires, and drag slicks, in the same size. They are also less forgiving on the suspension. Larger sidewalled bias ply drag rubber tend to absorb more of the suspension hit on these cars than the Radials. The radials however are much more convenient cause you don't have to keep changing tires all the time. You can however run quick on both with time and practice.

The best set up is to have a tire that suits your expected purposes. Lightest rim you can find, lightest tire you can find and in a size that compliments the power level, gear you are running in the car and be able to hook it.

Its the combination of all the above that makes the car most efficient and effective at the strip.

When you run a barge like we all do (3700-4000 LB), unless its been chopped to death for weight reduction, it takes more power to accelerate it (Unlike say a 29-3000 Lb car). The less rotational mass you have on the wheels the better the car will hook and accelerate. Its just that simple. Take a 1 lb weight and hold it out to your side at arms length and try to turn it in a circle as fast as you can. Do the same thing with a 5 lb weight. You'll see what I mean. The same applies to mechanical things. Its rotational mass/weight and believe me it sucks power.

You are trying to move all that weight down track to start with then to top it off you throw extra weight on the wheels and tires to try and do it. Not a good mix for quick E.T's.

Just some food for thought!!!!

Yeah, this is what I am trying to figure out. What size and such. I want to get the lightest setup I can for my car and was not sure which was the lightest one.

Chris

I always go with a 16 versus a 15....oh wait, you're talking about wheel and tire combinations. Oops, silly me, I thought it was about girls.

Back