PDA

View Full Version : This whole turbo craze... saab/volvo question

getblown
07-26-2008, 10:16 PM
I remember seeing on a V6 volvo or saab that only one side of the engine had a turbo on it with no connection to the other side, pros obviously are less work and simplicity, but what are the cons?

boooster
07-27-2008, 03:13 AM
cons are major imbalance i dont think there was ever a single turbo bank before. I could be wrong but you would see less performance and the whole balance would be off as one side would have heavier back pressure and the other side would not which would really mess with the afrs and most likely untuneable. the question has come up before on theturboforums and all the experts there also suggest not doing it. the motor woulnt last long

91 XR7
07-27-2008, 09:36 AM
it was Saab 9-5 (going by a Google search).. it had just one small little turbo (@ the same size as on a 1.8T turbo i'm guessing for the quick spooling?? ) that was used just to give the engine a little more low to mid range power and that was it..

Click here Yes here (http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/models/2001/pr7.html)

but i think the idea was very short lived with them thou..

XxSlowpokexX
07-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Back When They First Started Turboing V8 Stangs There Were A Few Kits Out There That Only Used One Bank....but As You Can See They Are No Longer Around....no Info Really Except That They Were Doing It...and Now No

getblown
07-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Just checking...

bigpoppa822
07-28-2008, 08:39 AM
You could just put the battery in the trunk and run twin turbos....

getblown
07-28-2008, 08:57 AM
You could just put the battery in the trunk and run twin turbos....

I'm a favorite of twin vs 1big single because I came from the turbo dodge world, yes they had singles, but one for four cylinders and the TII on my 87 2.5 Shelby Charger was perfect range 5600redline and I made full 11-12psi at 2200. So with a twin DOHC or something making boost around 2k would be awesome for some fun street driving.

bigpoppa822
07-28-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm a favorite of twin vs 1big single because I came from the turbo dodge world, yes they had singles, but one for four cylinders and the TII on my 87 2.5 Shelby Charger was perfect range 5600redline and I made full 11-12psi at 2200. So with a twin DOHC or something making boost around 2k would be awesome for some fun street driving.

Twin seems easier to me. Have two identical turbos, one on each bank. Forward facing manifolds, dual in/single out intercooler, run a dump off each turbo for a "true-dual" exhaust. Low spool time, have a boost controller to adjust it however you see fit, and off you go.