Ebrake Adjustment Issues

Hill1513

Hey guys,

I used the search but was unable to find a thread with the answers I needed :(

Anyway, I had adjusted my ebrake before without any issues. About 6 months ago, I went to adjust it again, but instead of it tightening up when I pulled the lever down, it slackened quite a bit. Needless to say, I was unable to get it to readjust properly and I've been without ebrake for these past months.

I've used PB, WD, etc. to try to loosen it up, but this doesn't seem to be the problem since I actually made it worse when I went for the readjustment. I was surprised to say the least, seeing as I've adjusted it successfully in the past.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I've also heard that some vehicles with rear disc setups like ours have an adjustment on the caliper. I haven't noticed it when changing the brakes. Am I not seeing it?

Last edited:
What year is your car? It may be slipping after you make the adjustment. You may need to go to a salvage yard and get a newer style clamp. The later years had a redesigned clamp under the pumpkin. The one that was on my car originally would slip. I can say the newer design (replacement) won't slip.

What year is your car? It may be slipping after you make the adjustment. You may need to go to a salvage yard and get a newer style clamp. The later years had a redesigned clamp under the pumpkin. The one that was on my car originally would slip. I can say the newer design (replacement) won't slip.

Sounds like a good idea (I have an '89). Unfortunately, it's not a slipping issue. It's just hanging down in the back of the car and will not tighten up at all. It's almost as if the spring has reached its limit.

Also, there are no breaks in the line. I checked that first.

Back