metal debris in tranny fluid

superdadsc

Pulling my motor an tranny out today and found metal debris in the fluid. My mechanic called me and gave me the good news. So what is the best plan of attack. Rebuild locally, buy a reman like Jasper or any other ideas? SC gods are pissed at me!:(:( Its a m5r2

Last edited:
Pulling my motor an tranny out today and found metal debris in the fluid. My mechanic called me and gave me the good news. So what is the best plan of attack. Rebuild locally, buy a reman like Jasper or any other ideas? SC gods are pissed at me!:(:( Its a m5r2

Local rebuild is good if your builder gives you a good price and knows what he is doing. Otherwise, remans are around the same price as a rebuild and come with warranty from a company that needs to hold a reputation. Sorry, no easy answer.

I would find a reputable shop to go through it for you. If there are parts you need that they are having problems locating, Southern Gear carries a lot of parts for the M5R2.

Chris

shifter parts

Unless you were having problems with the tranny it's probably just the remains of your shifter. It has several metal bushings and spring washers that fall apart and down into the tranny where they usually spend the rest of there life sticking harmlessly to the magnet in the drain plug...

That is good news.

Bob

Bob, That could make sense as the tranny shifted fine before the HG went. I am thinking of maybe trying my chances as I still have to buy tires,stereo, and some small stuff. I wasn't planning on another grand at this moment. Stephen

i wouldn't worry about it either, just drain the fluid and fill it up with just cheap atf... drive it a couple hundred then drain and fill with havoline synchromesh.

if it shifted fine before theres no reason to rebuild it... that magnet on the plug is there to catch the debris, if thats what it did then a+ for it.

u got to remember, manual tranys don't have filter like autos do... whatevers in the trany stays in the trany and just keeps getting flung around.

the shifter

Now would be a great time to rebuild the shifter regardless. Get a rebuild kit for the f-150 / ranger on ebay, or source the parts from ford. The rubber boot isn't listed for the SC anymore but yours may be fine anyway. The truck boot can be modified easy to fit the SC too.

Best of luck with rest of the project.

Bob

Back