car runs better on cheap gas??

jjm983

I have had hesitation problems with my SC bogging out at idle, and I just put a tank on 10% ethonal gas in the tank instead of the reccomended premium and it runs much better and has not bogged out yet. has anyone else experienced this? dont think ill ever use premium again!

To the best of my knowlege, running a tank of 89 octane unleaded plus thru a supercoupe wont cause a bit of damage. In fact, it will mix with whatever water there is in the tank and you will burn it with the fuel. Yes, water mixed with alcohol will pass thru a fuel filter. Whenever I have used UL+ in a car marked "premium unleaded fuel only", my seat of the pants performance meter says that I lose a little performance, but most importantly, my fuel mpg goes into the toilet also. In the past I have had some Fords that ran like poop in the winter and a tankfull of UL+ was the instant cure. I dont in any way suggest that you run it all the time tho.

lower octane = detonation = boom = make sure you dont beat on it with the cheapo gas in it = u be okay

For daily driver & not full throttle 90 octaine 10% is fine , I have put it through 4 different SC's with no ping. yes its a decrease in performance but it's ok.
Now, I ran a tank 15.7 gallons from Tulsa to Little Rock AR & got 26.2 MPG that was Shell 89 mid grade. Filled up with 93 octaine & mmmm good got 28.4 :)

It can also depend on where your located. I just browsed over to WIKIPEDIA and found this.

"In the Rocky Mountain (high altitude) states, 85 octane is the minimum octane and 91 is the maximum octane available in fuel. The reason for this is that in higher-altitude areas, a typical combustion engine draws in less air per cycle due to the reduced density of the atmosphere. This directly translates to reduced absolute compression in the cylinder, therefore deterring knock. It is safe to fill up a car with a carburetor that normally takes 87 AKI fuel at sea level with 85 AKI fuel in the mountains, but at sea level the fuel may cause damage to the engine. A disadvantage to this strategy is that most turbocharged vehicles are unable to produce full power, even when using the "premium" 91 AKI fuel. In some east coast states, up to 94 AKI is available [5]. In parts of the Midwest (primarily Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois and Missouri) ethanol based E-85 fuel with 105 AKI is available "

Back