89 Thunder bird SC Pics!

Ryan218

ok so a while ago i sold my 91 SC to fund my 88 mustang project. wish i could of kept it. amazing car. short story. guy i sold it to blew it up by running 87 in it and beating the living ~~~~ out of it. so the mustang was totaled by an old lady pulling in front of me. her fault. and now im looking at getting this 89 SC. i went and looked at it today. very nice over all. drove it and it drove fine. no body work needed. imo its close to mint! motor is dirty and has 151k on it. ( should i worry ) its been well taken care of and all work has been done at ford dealerships. the most recent was a little over 1,000 in front end work and new gas tank and fuel pump ect was put in. guy says its all stock but shifting it feels just like shifting shanes race car or seans 35th which both have the B&M shifter in it :confused: maybe its just me. was going to have shane go with me to look at it be he had to work and i was in a rush :rolleyes: i plan to DD this thing when i nailed it in first it blew em off :D and the firm ride light came on. im a noob. that supposed to happen? never did in my old SC. the clutch was touchy as hell though. im used to driving a kia 5 speed and the mustang though so it may just be me? didnt slip or anything though. so i think its just i need some seat time in it. there is no rust on it. motor ran solid. didnt run hot at all. only drove it about 2 miles.i think it has 2.73's in it. 3rd at 45 mph was just over 2k.

im going to go back over and look at it again. hopefully this time i can bring shane with me. would like to go back and look at it asap. i want to look over some more things on it with someone who knows more about them. i have a few pics.

the only problem with the car is that the driver side window wont go down right now. motor spins but wont move. and the seat belt dont slide. again hear the motor moving but nothing moves. no biggie to me. and the rear rotors could use to be replaced which again is nothing big.

so what do you guys think. guy is asking 2,500 obo...he said i bring him 2,300 Friday he will sign the title over to me! so far i really like the car. and driving it put that smile back on my face that driving the exploder for months has turned into a frown. i figure 2k in cash and he will take it.

pics.
0115020104070116042008072878735c264.jpg

01150001020801160020080728ed6b8a0b5.jpg

0101000116000104052008072848d9b1742.jpg

01020801040501160020080728fc027b0a3.jpg

give me some opinions!

What about underneath? Did you check underneath the car or just around the fenders and rockers?

Interior condition? Recent maintenance including headgaskets?

I think the most I'd go is $2,000 - but that's me. The car is only worth as much as your willing to pay for it. Good luck with it.

-Melon

What about underneath? Did you check underneath the car or just around the fenders and rockers?

Interior condition? Recent maintenance including headgaskets?

I think the most I'd go is $2,000 - but that's me. The car is only worth as much as your willing to pay for it. Good luck with it.

-Melon

interior was nice. no rips no stains no tears. i do not think the head gaskets have been touched. this car would stay pretty much stock. 3.55's and maybe some minor mods but nothing over the top for it. it would be a DD.
underneath was rust free. im going to put it on jack stands and look it over to get a better look.but what i could see was rust free. looks to be undercoated.

'89 Sc

Where's this thing at, I'll go buy it myself!:)

Just kidding!

It looks pretty nice,
but I would certainly start my offering at
$1,500 so you have room to move up.

Good luck!

Jeff

Where's this thing at, I'll go buy it myself!:)

Just kidding!

It looks pretty nice,
but I would certainly start my offering at
$1,500 so you have room to move up.

Good luck!

Jeff

depending on where in whitehall your at...very close to that are ha.

sounds like u found a nice sc... i would hop all on it

and heres a tip.. don't go with 3.55s leave the 2.73's

also, don't use the cluch to shift, im sure with that mileage the blocker rings have to be on there last legs, rev it up to 3k in first and pop it out of gear, then yank it into 2nd when the rpms drop to 1,950... then rev it up just above 3k (3075) in 2nd and pop it in neutral, then yank it into 3rd when the tach drops to 2k. you can usually catch fourth and fifth by just applying light pressure on the shifter in the next gear.

also, don't use the cluch to shift, im sure with that mileage the blocker rings have to be on there last legs, rev it up to 3k in first and pop it out of gear, then yank it into 2nd when the rpms drop to 1,950... then rev it up just above 3k (3075) in 2nd and pop it in neutral, then yank it into 3rd when the tach drops to 2k. you can usually catch fourth and fifth by just applying light pressure on the shifter in the next gear.

dont use the clutch to shift? :confused: that cant be healthy on the transmission.

~~~ are you talking about, why would you do that? makes no since :rolleyes:

anyway ryan, i think you should jump on it, and that shifter doesn't look like a short throw at all to me.

Sea

Yeah, $1,500 seems like a good starting point. Maybe she'll take it and if not, gives you a little room to negotiate. ;) It looks nice from the pics. Good luck on the deal.

What ya think?

yes. that is the one. what ya think?

I've only seen it from the road, but it looked pretty nice.
I would definitely get it up on some ramps & give the
underneath a REAL good look.:eek:
One thing to check for is oil filter clearance on the frame.
If it's rubbing or is very close to rubbing, you'll probably need
to do the motor mounts.:(
If I bought it, first thing I would do is change ALL of the fluids.
Oil/filter, supercharger oil, transmission, rear end, brake, coolant!
When doing the coolant, I would recommend just draining the
radiator & refilling it instead of flushing the system. Flushing the
system might pop some crud loose that would cause the HG's to
go prematurely.:mad:

Good Luck!

Jeff

dont use the clutch to shift? :confused: that cant be healthy on the transmission.

yes it is healthy on the transmission and it prolongs the life of stressed parts...

when you rev match all your shifts you do not use clutch material nor do you use synchro material... its the best way to shift and if done correctly can be quick and is very fun... much funner than using the clutch IMO, but most of all if done religiously, you will never need to rebuild the trany.

I never use the clutch in my mustang except for taking off and really driving hard! just driving around only time i use it is taking off. Very easy to do and it does prolong clutch life if done properly. I've drove around with a clutch thats adjusted all the way out for a good 25k and its not got any worse.

very interesting, i'll just continue to use my clutch, lol

Same here. Replacing the clutch is much cheaper then replacing or rebuilding a transmission because you screwed up rev matching or power shifting.

Ryan, I'll probably be able to look at that SC with you tonight. Get your exploder sold already!

Shane
Glynn Motorsports

Back