ABS puzzle

Payton

Hey guys, want to pick you mind. I swapped my engine, tranny, rear end, brakes , suspension off my old 92 into 90 rolling chassis. I also changed the brake lines to SS ones. I have ABS light come on all the time. I top up the fluid, changed the relay by passenger side, changed ABS master cylinder to known working one, but light stays on.
Any ideas? What to check? Could be that wheel ABS sensor (one or few) got damaged during installation of SS lines?
Please advise,
Payton

Yes it could very well be the ABS sensor, try and change them out and go from there....The brakes work properly?

Read for codes. ABS Light on all the time? Mine is intermittent and never leaves a code but with the light clear (not on) the ABS System cylcles like it thinks I am skidding at low speeds. I KNOW it is a wheel sensor (probably a front one) that got damaged when doing shocks and springs.

is it one all the time?? IE from right when you turn the key on to starting the car to when you shut if off??

Also see if a mechanic has a code reader for the ABS and Have them scan it... it's better then throwing money at it in hope that's the problem..

Also double check ALL you grounds and connects.. and if any wiring got caught anyplace

It is on all the time. I am not driving a car, so I can't go see my mechanic, till I get this issue sorted out. Thanks
Also I heard that you need to get new retaining bolts while changing brake lines, could that be a problem?

The ABS system is designed to work like normal brakes in the event of a sensor failure. If the ABS pump runs and the car has brakes, then this is the case. I would not be concerned about driving the car with non-functional ABS. If the system won't build pressure then that is a totally different problem. So does the pump run when you press the pedal repeatedly or no?

If just the ABS light is on, you will have Full brakes But you will not have ABS itself..
If Both the ABS and Brake lights are on.. well then typically you have no brakes :)

Not replacing the hardware (which is subjective to condition thou in my book) will not turn on the ABS light.. it's typically an Electrical issue that throws that light..

Like i said, double and triple check all connections you can find..

My SC used to throw a ABS Light randomly (sometimes with in a mile of driving, others over 100 miles) , read the codes (21 Main Valve) and what cured it, since EVERYTHING checked out fine on it, was Adding an extra ground from the `master cylinder' to the battery (you can see the ground point on the most forward part of the aluminum part of it)..

But i also had a feeling the Grounding of my SC was having problems.. I've done the `big three' already (as of yesterday) But i'm still not done with it yet.. I just wish i knew of a good place to add an ANL (or the mini version) and a 2 gang Fuse panel (AGU) under the hood of this car.

Back