abs conversion to conventional brakes

godavid

SCCoA Member
I have a non-abs 92 mc and brake booster. The mc has two proportional valves on the drivers side. I would like to eliminate the valves if possible since there SC already has a proportional valve but I don't seem to able to find the bushings to do this. Does someone know where I might find these bushings, thanks

get a master cylinder for a 94 crown vic, and use the CV master with the tbird booster, and that will make it a direct bolt-in swap. You won't even need to replace or re-run any brake lines!

Are there any other parts I need? Can someone post the complete list? I want to get this all done with one trip to the shop.

There are two master cylinders for the Crown vic one has abs and the other does not. Which one it is?

What about the pushrod?
Is there a check valve for the vacuum?
Is a vacuum fitting needed for the intake?

The master you want is for the CV without ABS. Get the booster out of an 89-92 non-abs tbird in a junkyard, and take it with everything still attached to it, then just swap out the master cylinder for the CV one, using everything else from the tbird.

the plunger rod sticking out of the t-bird booster is too short to use with the crown vic master cylinder which if you didn't change your brake pedal would be almost to the floor before it starts applying the brakes but it's an easy fix. When you pull off the crown vic master cylinder off a parts car notice how far the plunger rod sticks out past the front of the booster, you need to copy this length sticking out on the t-bird booster. Unscrew the plunger rod out of the t-bird booster and go to Lowes or Home Depot and match up the thread size and count and buy a 1.75" hex head bolt, ground the head off round like the end of the t-bird plunger rod, screw it in to the t-bird booster leaving it sticking out the same distance as the one on the crown vic booster and now you'll have a good high pedal when applying the brakes. Pick up the proportioner valve off of the crown vic when you get the master cylinder and screw it into the rear port on the cv master cylinder and pick up the junction block on the crown vic also.. hook up to a vacuum line on the intake side of the supercharger, you might have to add a t fitting to the big line running to that side, I did. Here's some pics of my delete.

Attachments

• abs%20001.jpg
    abs%20001.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 223
  • abs%20002.jpg
    abs%20002.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 204
  • abs%20003.jpg
    abs%20003.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Brake booster plunger rod checking/adjusting procedure... Save the image to your hard drive for the larger version. Note: Since the stock rod won't adjust enough to make up any difference, use this process to help w/fabrication of a substitute if needed.

Attachments

• BrakeBooster_Pushrod.jpg
    BrakeBooster_Pushrod.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Brake booster plunger rod checking/adjusting... Save the image to your hard drive for the larger version.

You cant adjust the stock rod enough to get a good pedal, it's too short even if you screw it out as far as you can.

>You cant adjust the stock rod enough to get a good pedal

Right, I only tossed that up as additional info for DIY - you can use the procedure to help fab one if you get lost in the process :)

I'll edit to make that clear, thanks!

Last edited:
Back