Best Spark Plugs And Wires To Use?

jjm983

I Know Factory Ford Plugs And Wires Would Probably Be Reccomended But Has Anyone Had Good Success With Any Other Brands?

Last edited:
I haven't switched to this setup yet but I'm going to run NGK V-Power TR-6 plugs (stock number 4177) with Beldon MAX premium 8mm wires. The setup is fairly inexpensive and I think if I gap the plugs right around .040" it will be very effective even for 19-ish psi. TR-6 plugs are 2 steps colder than the OEM plugs if I remember correctly. I'll let you know how it goes.

Why this setup? Beldon knows what they're doing. The wires are nice and fat and well-made. I think they are just as good as any high perf. wire set out there. The set only costs I think something like $36 for a typical walk-in customer at NAPA although I get the sets for $25. As far as the plugs, I'm trying out Dave's advice and trying a plug a couple steps colder than OEM and gapping between .035" and .045" rather than the crazy gaps Ford recommends. I'm partial to NGK V-Powers because they are very fairly priced, they have good counter-measures against fouling with the v-groove design, and they spark well (good flame kernels). The 4177 happens to be the v-power listed for the Ford GT I later discovered. On that car the recommended gap is .044" but I don't believe they see as much boost from the factory as many of us are runnin' around with.

Last edited:
borg warners 8mm supermags, ch8651 /w the 103's @45 - would be my choice - they have a lower ohms per ft value

I too like the Beldons. They look exactly like stock and seem to be the right length on every plug. Just use some dialetic greese on all the boots. Keeps water out and lets you remove them when its time to check the plugs. The funny part of all this is my car has 106k on it and had the original plugs and wires well everything on the car was original except for the water pump. Even the upper tube had not been removed right down to the starter. Must have been put together on a Wendsday. The only bad luck with the car was the tree that jumped out onto the road in front of the last owner.:D

If I remember right I got to the NGK V-Power 4177 by crossing over from an Autolite 103. I'll check again at work tomorrow. Just a line preference of mine, I love the V-Powers.

I thought the factory recommended gap was .054 not .045.

Is there a reason to put them at .045 vice the stock gap?

I do not recomend running anything (wires) cheap. Cheap as in less quality than factory. I would also recomend the Taylors...for two reasons. The other one is because they are CLOSE to my house. In other words, NOTHING from Napa, Vato Zone, Oreally's, etc. I have seen far too many failures to even recomend them.

Chris

The stock gap on a stock SC is mostly fine. When you mod the car and start exceeding 15 psi or so you may start blowing out your spark at higher rpms. Too much air in the gap makes it more difficult to jump. In this scenario shortening the gap helps.

with denso iridiums IT 20's I have run 21psi with no spark blow out (Stock heads and cam, full exhaust) Acell extreme 900 wires. These were kept at the Denso factory set gap a sthey say not to regap.

Current;y Im running 17PSI wih autolite xp's, screamon deamon coil pack and FMS wires I am currently running 17psi with factory gap(heads cam exhaust)

DOnt lessen the gap unless you have to..Dont run a colder plug unless you have too.

If your stock stock is generally fine..After that modify as needed

Back