Steering Wheel Locked

the-big-e

I am looking at a mid-night blue 89 5-speed to add to my collection....:rolleyes:

It can be fixed up using parts off my other cars.....:D

The problem is the steering wheel is locked with the front wheels turned and the owner has no idea where the keys are.....:confused:

I couldn't find the tag with the key codes on it, but there was a Ford ownership / warranty card that had some letters and numbers on it.....

Anyone know what combination of letters and numbers make up this code (i.e. 2 letters and 3 numbers).....

The car cannot be dollied home like this....:mad:

How hard is it to bust out, or remove the ignition cylinder....

Another option is to bring a spare column off my parts car and switch them out......

The car is way out in the country and I really don't want to work on it in the guys front yard.....:rolleyes:

Swapping out the column shoud only take about 15 minutes. 30 if you havent done one before.

Could just unhook the wheels from the column and roll it up on the dolly. Only 2 bolts to loosen under the dash and the push that collar down and pull the shaft up. That is the quickest way to get it unlock the wheels. Have to then jack it up or kick the tires into the position you want them.

That might work...:D

I can put a pair of those skinny spares on her to make her turn easier.....:rolleyes:

I had a problem with the last column that I took out....

The rag joint wouldn't come off either end of the steering shafts.....

I had the nuts off and drove a chisle to spread them out a bit and they still wouldn't come off.....

Last edited:
That might work...:D

I had a problem with the last column that I took out....

The rag joint wouldn't come off either end of the steering shafts.....
Under the dash. ;) 1 bolt is all you have to remove from the U-joint. Then push the shaft down towards the firewall and it should come right off. You may have to pry it out a bit.

Back