exhaust....mufflers? or no mufflers?

Scott-Atah

mmk i did a search on exhaust and read up as much as i can bout it all on the sccoa....

i've come to the conclusion that i'll copy the scp high flow exhaust

2.5" downlpipes.....into a terminator/magnaflow resonator....into a custom y-pipe...into extensions......into to muffles/or not......into some pmandrel pipe'n

question is....do i go with mufflers? if so what kind?

i'd be happy with the car being quiet after it's all done, jsut flowing better, maybe a lil more performance? don't wanna sound like a honda...and don't want any droning in the car at any speeds really....

can anyone offer me any soundclips of this setup...maybe with the different mufflers or without??? thanks :-D

(btw i learned from the board my first setup was way off and not a good choice...included glass packed mufflers and no resonator etc)

exh

I have the sccoa high flow down tubes, high flow cats from Summit Racing (cheaper than sccoa), the magnaflow resonator,
2 1/2 in and 3 inch out. Then it goes back into 2 1/2 pipes and out through no mufflers. It is dead silent on the interstate at 2500 RPM's but it sounds incredible when you step on it. Everyone who hears mine loves it. The terminator set up is good as well however it will sound much more agressive and raspy (though it does sound good). There is not too much drone either. Make sure you get the 3 inch sections from sccoa, unless your shop has the very expensive bender that will do three inch mandrel bends. If not you will have to order 180degree bends from Summit and piece them together. I hope this helps. And there is a sound clip of the terminator set up floating around on either the tech or no tech forum. Have a good one and enjoy. The new exh will let your engine build RPMs quickly all the way to red line rather than slowly building after 3500-4000RPMs. It is a lot of fun!!!

that does help yes....i'll head down and get a quote from this guy....see what he can get, he does good work and i like him....had him throw an x-pipe and redo my brothers exhaust on his mustang a bit ago....and he's got way more power and it sounds awesome......and he gives me deals so i 'm happy with him

thanks for your input...off to the exhaust place:):)

my opinion

It is just my opinion that mandrel bends are not needed for the average car. As long as the exhaust shop can bend the 2.5" and 3" it should be fine. I don't think the additional money spent on mandrel bends is justified by the horsepower gain. The main problem is the driver's side down tube and the resonator. If you address these issues and go with 2.5-3-2.5, the typical daily driven SC should be fine.

k...buddy says the excelerate mufflers he picked are basically the same as the magnaflows and that technically both are glass packed.

he also said there's not much difference between a resonator and a muffler....so i ask what exactly is the difference. He was smart in that he said skip the resonator...you can always add it later if you like...which is true and smart logic....but i was gonna skip the mufflers maybe and go with the resonator.

DEFINATELY go with the resonator! From everyone I have heard from, it will be very buzzy with a loud drone like a really noisy honda without it, even WITH mufflers. Now with the magnaflow resonator and mufflers, it sounds mean, but mellow at cruse speeds. Without mufflers, it just sounds louder. I plan on going with 2 1/4" downtubes with no cats to the magnaflow res, and run a single 3" pipe all the way back without a muffler.

Yeah, go with the ressonator or you will be sorry. I took the advise of my former exhaust man and didn't use one. Bad mistake, it sounds like I got a honda stuck under my car from 2,800-3,300 RPM's. I hate it, I am going to change it in a short while when I change my gaskets and seals. I just can't see doing any thing to it until I have a chance to get into the motor and change into some headers afterward.

Biggin' :D

how does a person decide between 2.5" and 2.25"??? I don't think i'll do a huge amount of upgrades to my car...maybe a pulley or intake at some point....never get any porting or any of that stuff done though.

I'm definitely thinkin to go with the resonator...and probably the mufflers too.

Back