Survey says!

Hesitation @ WOT...root cause?

• Internal (timing chain, burned/sticking valve, busted rings, holed piston, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KMT

Let's have sumfun, eh?

See this thread? "Hesitation at WOT", started back on 7.30, w/nearly two dozen comments to date.

What say we start a little game to guess what the root cause/issue turns out to be?

You only get to pick one...

Last edited:
I vote for plugs and wires, only because that was the problem with my old 93 SC, but I did have a similar problem with a 94 and it was because of a clogged fuel filter and bad pump.

I think it's ignition related....most likely plugs or wires, but could be something else in the ignition system.

David

>unbelievable

You're not afraid your rep can't take the hit, are you?

This is just a friendly little test of troubleshooting skills. No big deal. C'mon...strut your stuf. Don't keep your fans in suspense :D

Last edited:
At WOT, it's usually ignition related. More specifically if boost has been increased, it's blowing the spark out. Smaller gap or Denso iridium plugs is the fix.

>Smaller gap or Denso iridium plugs is the fix

yeahbutt....he seems have gone thru that, more than once by now I think... :)

Since he moved to a newer thread in the mean time, it appears he's gone thru some of the choices (wires/plugs; coil) without finding the issue.

i had a terrible buck at wide open throttle come to find out it was a variety of things, they were all bad at the same time and to this day I still don't understand how the car ran at all even though it did run like complete garbage.

1> sc belt tensioner shot (sc belt was slipping)
2> coil pack
3> harmonic balancer loose -stripped crank bolt (faulty crank signals)
4> exhaust leak
5> o2 out of range due to low current from air/fuel gauge
6> bad bap sensor
7> act sensor connector broken
8> bad ground from battery to chassis
9> pcv hose missing

now the car runs perfect

B I N G O !

>i had a terrible buck at wide open throttle come to find out it was a variety of things

And thanks for the detailed list :)

Note that those nine things on your list of repairs do not include 'plugs/wires'. Which was why this poll was put together in the first place.

Sure, P's & W's can cause all sorts of problems when they go south, and they may have been the #1 culprits 10+ years ago, but the majority vote here (and comments in the threads), was for them, while they haven't been found to cause issues related to the OP's problem.

Jumping onto the kneejerk P & W bandwagon simply ignores a host of likely & genuinely complex problems that these cars face more and more, as they get older and spend more time sitting and/or out on the road.

Hopefully the typical mindset surrounding troubleshooting of these cars will come to reflect an updated awareness, promoted by thoughtful owners that take the time to understand what is needed to keep them going strong.

Last edited:
Back