PDA

View Full Version : eec tuner

intercooled89xr
09-13-2002, 04:01 AM
wher can i get one and what dose it do and when should i get one after doing what to my car?thanks any help would help

KwikGSeX
09-13-2002, 04:38 AM
The Tuner is basically a Fuel Management system.. You can control your entire computer in the car.. But trust me when i tell you concentrate on other things first.. The Tuner is a VERY complicated piece of hardware and software and as such you have a 90% chance of blowing up your engine... Besides you wont need it till u start to do some serious mods to the car otherwise its not beneficial IMO..

joenintiesc
09-13-2002, 11:23 AM
I just installed an EEC Tuner in my 90SC. I had Dr. Fred write a custom file ($25) to match my engine/mods. I think it is mostly danergous if you try to change/adjust the values yourself. If you can get one for less than the going price of $400 (www.mn12performance.com) it may be a good investment if your planning on significant mods. I got mine recenly from them in a group buy. You also need the software which should come with the tuner. Lastly you need a laptop computer so you can sit in you car and calibrate the tuner. Don't forget one of the nifty things about a tuner is you can change the temp your fan turns on (best if you have a 180* t-stat). You can install the tuner yourself in 1-2 hours.

Kevin Varnes
09-13-2002, 07:47 PM
Laptop schmaptop! We had some 10 year old 500 pound HP in the passenger seat of Doug William's car for about 8 months. Of course you couldn't drive very far without a long extension cord :) I don't think that seat will ever be the same.

joenintiesc
09-15-2002, 10:47 AM
Ironically enough, my girlfriend's laptop which I use has no battery so I need an extension cord to power it up! :rolleyes:

indysho90
09-17-2002, 04:44 PM
hi, i'm a semi new member, i posted a few times last year, i have a '90 SHO. the forum still looks nice and is informative!

this is not a plug, i just wanted to share my experience with my tuner. i got it from, http://www.sctuner.net/

i change all the settings myself, on my home desktop. the software is like working in excel. lots of shread sheets with graphical readouts that refresh with new data. there is a demo located here ( http://www.sctuner.net/products/thunderbird.htm )that you might want to check out if you are interested in tuners.

i have to remove the computer to connect to the PC. thats the hardest part.

lateron, Corey

KwikGSeX
09-17-2002, 07:29 PM
Hi Corey.. Just a note u might want to look into a budget laptop so u can do all your tuning in the car.. have you dynoed your SHO with the tuner yet? I was there when Jason King's GL made 30FWHP with that bad boy.. The tuner has alot of potential for people who know what they are doing with it..

indysho90
09-18-2002, 06:23 PM
no, i haven't ever ran a dyno test. i should though, it's an expensive but quick way to get the engine data. i doubt a 30hp improvment could be had on a stock SHO with just a new program. a SLO has a ways to go to match the SHO's output per liter, i'm sure his findings are legit. about the laptop, i'm pursuing one right now. it will make changing things faster. plus, if we ever have the great fortune of having 'on-board' data logging, a lap top will give us quick accsess.

right now i'm experimenting with an economy oriented program. stangley enough, i have discovered improved throttle responce and additional 'power'. all that with a 22.5MPG all-city mileage measurment. more data will shead more light on my would-be improvements, it takes a while when you fill-up once every two weeks. later, Corey.

rlong
07-16-2003, 11:50 PM
my eec tuner up and died after only a month i sent it back today, im looking for suggestions how not to fry it again , i didnt do anything unusual , it went in the morning when it was still cool , im thinking after i make changes i should unhook the battery to reset car ecm , and ill probably quit data logging they say that heats it up more , or running the car with the laptop on any help would be appreciated

XR7 Dave
07-17-2003, 04:06 AM
I replaced the short cord that came with mine with a 50ft ethernet cable so that I could plug it into the computer in the house. Worked great.

Since I got a laptop, I have found that running the car with the laptop connected makes it spaz out and throw check engine lights and other crap. So I never run the car with the laptop connected. I've had mine for about 3 years now with no major glitches.

I also heartily recommend Fred's tuning. You wouldn't believe how good my car runs if I told you. :D ;)

Jim Demmitt Jr
07-17-2003, 09:22 PM
I am getting one installed EEC tuner.
Having a profesional computer tuner a wizard at this kind of thing tune her in he will be at the track to help us as well as we have no idea where the timing is right now we gone as far as we can tuning just fuel pressure alone.

Time to step up and get full power of my motor but this is nice to hear the things about the EEC tuner and how you all feel about it good info.

rlong
07-18-2003, 12:04 AM
ok they just emailed me and said my tuner was ok so i either have a bad connection at ecm or bad ecm