Driver side window problem

LilCop2002

As the title states, I'm having a problem with my driver side window. It doesn't want to go up or down. I took the door panel off, took the motor out, and checked the rattling noise in the door.

Turns out that just to the rear of the door from the motor is a little "box" that has something that looks like a tensioner. My problem is that there is no way to fix the tension so that things stay aligned.

First off, does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about and secondly how would I remove/replace it?

First off, does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about and secondly how would I remove/replace it?
I have a clue, but not a strong one. :rolleyes: Have you tested the motor? Take the cover off the gear case and see how many crumbs of plastic are inside of it. Should be 3 solid plastic plugs.. no crumbs. While you're at it, check the plastic sleeves that hold the glass onto the lever arm. Very common problem is the glass coming out of the sleeves and not moving.

This picture is of the specific item that I'm looking at. If you notice, there looks to be a hook shaped item. This piece is nice and tight on the passenger side door where as on this side, it flops around. As I attempt to use the power motor to move the windows up and/or down, the whole hook shaped piece and the circle piece behind it bounce side to side and nothing happens from there. Is this piece supposed to hold tension on anything?

DSC01614.jpg

This is from the back edge of the door to give a better idea of where it is.
DSC01615.jpg

Last edited:
I dont know how to get it out, or anything to help you, but the part is a compensation spring. It compensates for the weight of the window when putting the window up. That way the motor doesnt have all of the window weight on it.

Once again, the Big-E comes through. Any way of passing along some information on how to get it out?
I believe you will have to drill out the pop-rivets. You might look at using regular screws + lock washers to reattach. I'd highly recommend that you unbolt the glass from the levers (2 10mm nuts), push it up, and secure it in place with plenty of duct tape so that it won't get scratched or broken while your drilling through metal. I use a length of 2x4 propped underneath the glass near the front of the door, as a backup just in case the window should suddenly drop down.

I dont know how to get it out, or anything to help you, but the part is a compensation spring. It compensates for the weight of the window when putting the window up. That way the motor doesnt have all of the window weight on it.

Outstanding! I appreciate your help on that. It's been killing me since I can't see it or anything.

I believe you will have to drill out the pop-rivets. You might look at using regular screws + lock washers to reattach. I'd highly recommend that you unbolt the glass from the levers (2 10mm nuts), push it up, and secure it in place with plenty of duct tape so that it won't get scratched or broken while your drilling through metal. I use a length of 2x4 propped underneath the glass near the front of the door, as a backup just in case the window should suddenly drop down.

Is that a possibility to do? Replacing those rivets with a set of screws or maybe nuts and bolts? If so, that wouldn't be too difficult to do. Hell, I could get that part from a junkyard down the street...

A lot of times, the rivets are used because they are faster to install. You just have to look at the clearances to see if you can use normal nuts+bolts instead.
However, a rivet will not loosen over time, so if you used something else, best to also use a lock nut or lock washer(s). A trip to the hardware store should give you some ideas... of course they also sell pop-rivets and tools. ;)

1/4 x20 x1/2 " bolts inserted from inside the door panel and nyloc nuts on the outside works every time.I never use rivets in case I have to take it apart again.

1/4 x20 x1/2 " bolts inserted from inside the door panel and nyloc nuts on the outside works every time.I never use rivets in case I have to take it apart again.

Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

:p
Thanks for that input!

I used pop rivits when I did mine....

Finding a pop rivit gun that handles the rather large pop rivits that hold it in place was a bit of a pain.....:rolleyes:

I was going to use bolts and nylocs....

Be very careful drilling the pop rivits out, as the regulator will be spring loaded.....

Installation is a breeze if you use the proper procedure.....

I'll see if I can find the post with the pictures....

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72869&highlight=window+regulator

Last edited:
Back