Spindle Swap - ABS Speed sensor question

Doug Williams

I have swapped spindles to the 93 + spindles and am noticing the wire harnesses from the 93+ speed sensors are not compatible and shorter than the harness on my car. Just wondering what solution some of you who have gone through this before have come up with to keep the ABS working.

My options as I see it are to go to a junkyard and get the wire harness off a late car to splice onto my car. Or leave the ABS disabled and not worry about it.

....ths abs harness's on my 90 were side specific.....when I upgraded to the MRK8 spindles I just spliced longer leads in to match.
z

I used the original 92 ABS Sensors on my 93+ spindles with no issues. The length of the magnetic portion of the sensor is shorter than the later version, but overhangs the ABS sensor rings on the hub assemblies far enough to still allow the ABS System to function properly.

On one side I was able to save my original sensor. It does not quite reach the ring on the SN95 hub so I did not think it would work. The ring on the mustang hub is narrower than the SC hub was.

For the other side I will try to make an adapter using my orig wire and a harness from a junkyard Mk8 and see if it works with the late speed sensor wiring.

So whats the overall verdict on this? My sensors in my original spindles were broken, and when I swapped to newer spindles I was under the impression I could use those sensors. I routed the passenger one last nite and it is about 5" short of plugging in, and the connection is different

You were under the wrong impression. The 93 and up SC's had a Teves Mark IV ABS System. The sensors as you found out have a different connector. The early models have a Teves Mark II ABS System. So you have to use an early sensor recognizing that the actual sensor tip on the early models are shorter and will not overhang the ABS Sensor Ring on the hubs entirely. But they work and have done so on my 92 for 6 years now after installing the 93 and up spindles.

You were under the wrong impression. The 93 and up SC's had a Teves Mark IV ABS System. The sensors as you found out have a different connector. The early models have a Teves Mark II ABS System. So you have to use an early sensor recognizing that the actual sensor tip on the early models are shorter and will not overhang the ABS Sensor Ring on the hubs entirely. But they work and have done so on my 92 for 6 years now after installing the 93 and up spindles.
I am also using 92 sensors on 93 & up spindles and have been doing so for 7 or 8 years.

Are the 91 hubs and sensor rings the same as 93 and newer ? Besides the spindles, rotors and cobra calipers (with cobra bango bolts) what else do I need to upgrade to 13" front brakes on my 91 ?

David

David,

As far as I know and remember all of the SXC Hubs are the same. Of course the SC Hubs are 5 X 4.25 and the Cobra Rotors are 5 X 4.5" so you have to redrill the rotors (unless they were done by those you bought them from) or you have to shift to the Mustang Hubs with a 5 X 4.5" bolt circle pattern.

So....if you have the parts you listed already you should be set except for the spindle pinch bolts and nuts (joint of the upper control arm ball joints with the new spindles) you will need to swap the spindles. Have fun finding them though....last bolts I got cost me $15.00 each.:eek:

BTW...I would not recommend doing the swap of the front brakes only. You will change the brake bias forward if you do. I suggest doing all four corners...but your choice.

Back