auto to manual questions

scpride

i think my aod is getting ready to go out and i was thinking about converting it to a stick. wondering how much work and would it be worth it. i just get bored with the auto.

Alot of work ,i would just leave i would leave it auto,you start changing thinges on these cars= more work.my 2,89,s are stock ,never had a problem.this is only my opinion.

I think it all depends on ones ability to work on a car...

Allot of work? Not really, the swap can be done on a long weekend (at a semi leisurely pace) I amit i haven't done it to a 3.8SC car.. only on a 5L car where there was some rewiring that was needed to be done.. But other then synchros, never had any issues with that car.. okay maybe a few.. But it's more age related.. (does have like 190,000 miles on it)

I do have plans on swaping my '89 XR7 to a 5spd, got everything ready.. but the AOD is good (recently rebuilt too :cool:).. and i can't bear to `throw away' a perfectly good part :)

Your best bet is to buy a parts car for all the things you need for the swap.
Dont use all the old worn out parts. Get a new clutch kit, slave cylinder, and clutch master cylinder. Rebuild the trans as long as its out of the car or take it to a trans shop. Nothing worse than having to do the same job again. :rolleyes:

If you can do a regular trans just you can do the 5spd swap on these. Its not that hard at all.

Here's the parts list:

Transmission
Manual Driveshaft
Man. Trans harness
Clutch pedal assembly
Brake Pedal (full assembly not needed)
Center console top
Master Cylinder
Slave Cylinder
Clutch Hose
Man. Flywheel
Clutch assembly
Throwout bearing
Pilot bearing
Trans tunnel boot
Shifter

Tools:

Basic hand tools
Power drill
90 degree adapter for power drill
Hole saw (for making hole for master cyl in firewall)
Drill bits
Jack
Jackstands
1 strong friend (i.e. transmission jack, should have working mechanical knowledge)
Lots of patients

Good luck.

Yeah it's not too bad. To me it was worth it. I had broken 2 AODs and had enough. I pulled the auto myself in a couple hours using a floor jack and some straps. I had a friend help bolting up the 5 speed to make it easier to line things up. The shopping list that Hock provided is right on. It's easier to pull everything off of one car if you have that luxury. You can get the 90 degree angle drill bit at harbor freight for cheap. It comes in handy. If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help. Email me or post it here.

Yeah it's not too bad. To me it was worth it.

Yeapers, same here. I have just under 3k on the whole swap and it was done in two stages like the write ups say. I'm enjoying it, the car consistantly has power as opposed to the heat soaked automatic sometimes.

Joe

Back