5 speed

mrreliable

hi, I have a 93 sc with manual trans. Having issues with first and second gear - figure synchros. I can get by with shifting into third before going to first so that be fine. The bothersome issue is the stink from the trans especially when running in fifth. It smells like gear oil. I changed fluid a while back using merc along with posi additive. any ideas? thanks:confused:

I agree, check your seals and see if any are damaged.

Also, these transmission should be using Dextron fluid. NOW, I was reading a bottle of posi additive that I got for my rear diff and it says not for use with Automatic transmission fluid. So what I would do is drain and refill with fresh fluid and leave out the posi fluid.

If you can afford it go to your local GM dealer and get their type of fluid, they should still be calling it GSL. Now that may or may not be the same as the syncromesh gear oil thats sold in parts stores, so you may want to check that out its possible to save a dollar or two going that way.

But anyways good luck!

I agree, check your seals and see if any are damaged.

Also, these transmission should be using Dextron fluid. NOW, I was reading a bottle of posi additive that I got for my rear diff and it says not for use with Automatic transmission fluid. So what I would do is drain and refill with fresh fluid and leave out the posi fluid.

If you can afford it go to your local GM dealer and get their type of fluid, they should still be calling it GSL. Now that may or may not be the same as the syncromesh gear oil thats sold in parts stores, so you may want to check that out its possible to save a dollar or two going that way.

But anyways good luck!

I used GM synchromesh manual transmission fluid. They make a semi-synthetic fluid, but I used that and didn't like it. Use the normal GM synchromesh fluid. Pricing where I am at went way up last time I bought it, but I like the way the car shifts. Fluid definitely made a difference for me. This fluid already has a friction modifier in it.

thanks for the replies....I dropped trans out and am investigating if synchros are bad. I noticed they are brass - gears look fine, shifter needs rebuild - seals are bad and nylon bushing cracked. Anything else to review?

Back