Help I Made A Giant Error!

93atlsc

My harmonic balancer broke off around the crank. Does anyone have experience with this problem? How do i get it out of the crank housing? Any help will be appreciated.:mad:

Last edited:
There are tons of threads, many with pointers to other threads that describe how to get the broken piece off the end of the crankshaft. Just do some searching.

I'd start trying to find a replacement balancer first....Note: You MUST use an SC balancer, the 3.8 Naturally aspirated balancer won't work.

Pry the seal out of the timing cover and then you can usally get a hold of the part that is broken off.

David

My harmonic balancer broke off around the crank. Does anyone have experience with this problem? How do i get it out of the crank housing? Any help will be appreciated.:mad:

When mine broke and the sleeve was left on the crank, I removed the timing cover. Then I removed the timing chain, this allowed me to use a two jaw puller on the timing crank gear. I then used the puller to pull off the gear which pushed the old balancer sleeve off the crank. Now this is a lot of work, but I didn't have to worry about causing damage to my crank. Take this into account when you get advise from others. Once the balancer is off, it's a great time to do a timing chain set anyway. You wont want to have to remove the balancer in the future to replace a timing chain.

wow - drag

on this car, ( SC ), don't guess, if something goes wrong, it can cost more than just time

Well, it really didn't make any difference whether he tried this or that because the balancer was already broken when he first noticed it wobbling. SC's should not be driven as daily drivers by people who don't know anything about them. Sorry if that offends anyone but consider this fair warning. If you really like the Tbird and it just fits your price bracket (cheap) then find a 4.6 or 5.0 Bird and drive that.

i think you hit the nail on the head XR7 Dave.

thats kinda what i meant as well only you stated it a lot better, i didnt want to come off sounding as a smart-@@@, well you know

for some its most likely they just dont know - their in discovery mode, those that have been around cars and such, just seem to except it sooner

while a bad turn happened, he made the right turn discovering this site, i know its saved me quite a bit of time and money

you might get the poke and jab sometimes, for something you post and or have done and posted about, but hey - its all in good fun

cheers

I feel these were reliable DD when new or up to 10 years old but now with the youngest being almost 14 years old, well lets just say I don`t drive a SC on a dailey basis. I have my old 93SC clone for that. Same great looks but never need to pop the hood with almost 200k. My 91 never needed any parts from new untill the water pump went. It seems it ran perfect up till 105K with only a tuneup and some new paint,rust,bodywork and now some new front end parts. Oh and now a windshild:eek: I did that one but these cars were way ahead of there time as far as elctronics went and add a little engineering srcewups and you have what we all love to hate or is that hate to love.:rolleyes: I just keep coming back for more. :)

Back