New headlight bulb options for early SC's?

92bird

Cliffnotes: 9011 and 9012 bulbs..same wattage, same filament location (same safe beam pattern), HIR (Halogen Infared Reflecting) but drastically improved light output. Bolt in place of 9006 and 9005 bulbs (stock 89-93 SC low and high beam bulbs)

clicky clicky

Sounds like a great option for those who want better light without having to worry about frying your stock harness, illegal HID's or fake looking blue bulbs.

I came across these when looking for bulb alternatives for my motorcycle which uses the same bulbs as the SC. (2001 Suzuki Bandit 600s) I'm gonna buy a set for the bike first, then maybe for the SC.. We'll see. Kinda pricey.

Jeramie

Attachments

• bulbs.jpg
    bulbs.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 146
Keep in mind you need to buy 4 bulbs.

2 9011 (to replace your 9005 high beam) and 2 9012 (to replace your 9006 low beam).

That's $100 in bulbs, but I still may try them

Jeramie

I was just about to make a thread asking what people use for headlight bulbs, I need new ones. These look like a good buy, but I kinda like the blue tint some of them have :cool: as long as it's not annoying looking.

dont you have to shave

a little notch off of these to get them to fit? i looked infrared refection bulbs a few years back and thats what people said was needed to get them to fit to the 9006 standard harness...just wondering if anyone has heard of this?

bulbs

I just finished installing HID's bought off of e-bay in my 89. I bought 8000K
9005 high beams and 9006 lows. All in all quite comparable to the HID's in my
98 Mark 8. It did require adjusting the beam settings so that you dont blind anyone with the low beams, but that only takes a few minutes.
I had tried the HIR high beams in the Mark and sold them with the car - I dont think they were worth saving.

Last edited:
So these have worked fine on sc's???

i ordered the 6000 watt bulbs

i plan on taking my lens' apart and cleaning them so it should look a little nicer with clean headlights (not yellow) and clear corners

Last edited:
FYI - 6000 is a color temperature, has nothing to do with wattage. 8000 is a
little bluer. It is measured in "K" factors = kelvin. Also, many HID bulbs are 35
watt which is lower than stock, which is mostly 55-65 watt.

Last edited:
I run the Silver Star bulbs in the low beams on mine. The light output is brighter and white instead of yellow like the the Halogen bulbs.

I just finished installing HID's bought off of e-bay in my 89. I bought 8000K
9005 high beams and 9006 lows. All in all quite comparable to the HID's in my
98 Mark 8. It did require adjusting the beam settings so that you dont blind anyone with the low beams, but that only takes a few minutes.

I also am running the HID's (6000K) in my 92, and love them. One note of caution. You must run a relay kit to turn on all 4 lights at once on high beam. These lights take a couple of seconds to warm up so without the relay kit, when switching from low to high or vice versa you will be in the dark for a few seconds. Not good at high or even low speed.

You can figure out the wiring yourselves, or find one at Summit Racing or other places (usually described as for older Chev or GM trucks with 4 headlights).

Last edited:
I do have the 5000k kit in my GTP, looks awesome with the crystal lenses.. I just dont' like the blue look of HID's in the T-bird translucent lenses. They would look nice in the 97-97 lenses tho..

I do have the 5000k kit in my GTP, looks awesome with the crystal lenses.. I just dont' like the blue look of HID's in the T-bird translucent lenses. They would look nice in the 97-97 lenses tho..

If you like Yaller like good old tungsten, you can get HIDs clear down to 3000K. I think a good compromise is 6000K or even 5000K (shouldn't be blue!). The real blue ones are 8000K and above.

One of the great things about the HIDs is not just that they are brighter, but they light up the road in a daylight color. Everything stands out like in daytime. The first time my wife saw them, she said every car should be required to have them.

The 5000K still has just a slight hint of blue. I've seen 4300K, and that is a nice look. I've heard that 4300K is also the brightest.

Jeramie

Back