Awwww Crap!

phycobob

By suggestion of someone a while back on a post I decided to pick up some NGK Iridium spark plugs. I was told at the time to get TR55IX plugs. I ordered them online (only $43 for 6). BUT, after more discussion, I was told to get TR55-1IX plugs. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE? Am I going to hurt anything by putting the model I ordered in? Is there a disadvantage to it? I did extensive research and found that there really are two different part no.'s...I also contacted the place I got them from and they said NO RETURNS. Should I still put them in or will that be a bad thing? I REALLY want to replace those damn autolite coppers that have been rotting in there for the last 14,000mi or so...

OK..

I've never tried them, but if you've bought them and can't return them, I'd say to check the length of the electrode and tip to the current plugs, and if they match, then gap them at .049 and try them out. You shouldn't have a problem if the replacement tip isn't any longer than the original. Another alternative is to use the Autolight double platinum plugs. Thats what most of us run. They're not all that expensive.

The gap on the NGK Iridium 55IX plugs are .050, are they just a colder plug than the 1-55IX?

And I thought it was advised NOT to use the autolite double platinum plugs? Am I missing something?

Who told you not to run Autolite Double Platinums? They are the same part as the old Motorcraft plug which is no longer available. I've got them on three cars and they all run great.

To answer your original question, the -1 indicates an extended tip. The TR55-IX is a shorter plug. It should still work but you should have the extended tip for our engines. I run the TR55-1IX and like them, have had no problems.

Back