MP Springs/Tensioners wasted

89XR7TD

SCCoA Member
I tryed installing the MP Springs tonight on a couple of extra tensioners I had still bolted to a J/S bracket I had laying around.

Well, it didn't work out the 2 taps that are on the bottom, one broke off from each tensioner:rolleyes:

Almost had the new spring in and wammo, luckily the spring didn't get me:eek:

I think from sitting around for a while they got corroded as I seen a lot of the white powdery stuff on them!!!

I might try it again on the tensioners that are on my car or I might just buy new tensioners and sell the MP Springs?

Tom

Don't worry about having broken the nipples off the backside. You'll want them gone anyhow when you clock the tensioners and you should clock them with MP springs installed. Just trying to save you some time and $$$.

Clock tensioners

Don't worry about having broken the nipples off the backside. You'll want them gone anyhow when you clock the tensioners and you should clock them with MP springs installed. Just trying to save you some time and $$$.

I better get them out of the garbage can then:D

I'll do a search on clocking tensioners cause I don't know the first thing about that kind of stuff.

Thanks for the replies guys!!!!

Tom

When I did mine I secured the tensioner in the vise by the sides, not by the nipples on the back like the MP instructions say to do.

When I did mine I secured the tensioner in the vise by the sides, not by the nipples on the back like the MP instructions say to do.

Yup, next time don't secure them by the nipples. I did the same thing and broke one off.

With the magnum powers 15% OD kit,you may need to clock the tensioner. I drilled new holes for the nipples instead of breaking them. Breaking the nipples off is just asking for trouble in my opinion. We have enough trouble how it is, no reason to create potential new ones.

to clock the supercharger tensioner just drill a hole next to the existing ones COUNTERCLOCKWISE. I repaired a broken tensioner nip once by drilling and installing a socket head cap screw in its place.

Got a spare Jackshaft or alternator casting?

I used the jack shaft casting to hold my tensioner. If you have a spare, put it in a vise and bolt the tensioner on, then pry ed the retaining cover off slowly allowing the spring to unwind slowly. Putting it back together with the new spring was easier this way too.

to clock the supercharger tensioner just drill a hole next to the existing ones COUNTERCLOCKWISE. I repaired a broken tensioner nip once by drilling and installing a socket head cap screw in its place.

I repaired a couple tensioners with broken nipples by drilling out the same location and using the correct diameter dowel pins I bought at Lowes, you can get 2 nipples out of 1 dowel pin.

Nothing beats a nice big vice for holding parts while your working on them.

Thanks again Guys!

To my luck someone had emptied the trash can already, so I'll try the other tensioners I have and not put the taps in the vise:)

Thanks for all the replies!!

Tom

Back