Stock Block Questions.

SSSTANG

After doing alot of reading and searching I've found that the S/C and headgaskets don't get along very well to say the least.

My only question is:

1.) Not includingthe HG issue how much power can the stock bottom end safley handle? (pre 94 and post 94)

2.) If you were on a stock bottom end and it gave on you, exactly what gave and what power were you on? (bad tuning - too much power - etc.)

Power

You will have to use your search buttom. It is your friend. Hours and hours of info. I am no SC expert but I do know that what they knew about these cars 7 years ago , and what they know now is a world apart. They, guys like Dave D and others are constantly pushing the envelope in regards to performance and Ftuner, Frit is learing more about the EEC an proper tunes.

They have gotten some healthy numbers out of this six. 400rwhp was a dream now it is easily attainable with plenty of cash and following other recipes. The record on a stock block is a lot higher than 400, closer to 500, and if it goes get out of the way!:eek::eek: Stephen

Failures of the stock short block on these cars almost always seems to be due to some sort of ignition/fueling system problem. Either the car wasn't tuned for the combination of parts, or some part failed that was required for proper engine ignition/tune.

Other failures will be due to less than perfect maintenance.

Failures seen have been:
Damaged Piston
Bent Connecting Rod
Spun Rod or Main bearing
Cracked Crankshaft.

Basically if it can fail, it's failed on an SC.

Here is an interesting thread on how one person got to 450hp with their stock bottom end.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63873

You will have to use your search buttom. It is your friend. Hours and hours of info. I am no SC expert but I do know that what they knew about these cars 7 years ago , and what they know now is a world apart. They, guys like Dave D and others are constantly pushing the envelope in regards to performance and Ftuner, Frit is learing more about the EEC an proper tunes.

They have gotten some healthy numbers out of this six. 400rwhp was a dream now it is easily attainable with plenty of cash and following other recipes. The record on a stock block is a lot higher than 400, closer to 500, and if it goes get out of the way!:eek::eek: Stephen

Maybe you failed to read the "I've searched" Its been almost 2 weeks since I got added to the forums and I've been searching through threads.

Thanks, I've read that one before...

Hmm so it seems 450 is possible on the stock bottom end...

...and then some. I don't think the strength of the block is the problem. At these power levels there are other things that need to be watched closely in order to keep the block together. Detonation for example would wreck havoc on the OEM parts at some point.

Ira

...and then some. I don't think the strength of the block is the problem. At these power levels there are other things that need to be watched closely in order to keep the block together. Detonation for example would wreck havoc on the OEM parts at some point.

Ira

Yeah I plan on having a bad-~~~ tune, not gonna push the spark far at all, and keeping the a/f just a tad rich.

Yeah I plan on having a bad-~~~ tune, not gonna push the spark far at all, and keeping the a/f just a tad rich.

Well I'm far from an expert on this so my only suggestion is to remember that bad-~~~ best not be too far out on the edge.

Then again, it's only a block ;)

Ira

why ask why?

If you had done all the reading then why ask a stupid question? I was just trying to be helpful!:confused: Stephen

Because their is no good answers...

With the mustang block (split port) generally 350rwhp is the "safe-limit" on the stock bottom end components. So i was trying to figure out where that "safe-limit" was on the super coupe bottom end since it has to be somewhat stronger.

Tune is key to longetivity..

The SC shortblocks have steel cranks..94-95 having full floating pistons, a windage tray and slightly higher compression. None have forged pistons.

Whatever the limit is its higher then any 3.8 stang shortblock.

Because their is no good answers...

With the mustang block (split port) generally 350rwhp is the "safe-limit" on the stock bottom end components. So i was trying to figure out where that "safe-limit" was on the super coupe bottom end since it has to be somewhat stronger.

Since detonation is responsible for almost all SC engine failures, measures taken to prevent detonation will dictate how much power you can ultimately make. Safety is a relative term.

Since detonation is responsible for almost all SC engine failures, measures taken to prevent detonation will dictate how much power you can ultimately make. Safety is a relative term.

Well goody! Low iat temps + not much spark in the tune I should be fine.

XR7Dave is the guy you should be talking to when you are ready to go foward with your project. He is always on the forefront in regards to SC's making power and running properly. I recently got the parts I needed from Dave I bought a longblock from a fellow member and that member bought the rebuild kit from Dave along with a cam & springs & p rods & bhj I got all of the supporting mods I needed through him TB,MAF,INJ & tune for my car. He is a busy guy but knows his stuff, it's what he does for a living.

Good luck with your project,turbo,cool, I am planning on running a remote turbo thru my SC, compound boost. Like Dave wrote in a previous post a turbo can bring you more power and be easier on the motor at those higher levels of power. Welcome to the boards, Stephen Sorry about saying it was a stupid question, I was having a bad day.

Back