Exhaust questions?

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
First off this has absolutely NOTHING to do with the other thread floating around about exhaust..

My sc's exhaust is driving me nuts! i drive 96 miles a day with leaky half azzed exhaust and its terrible. I have been getting 27.5mpg so i cant complain about that! anyway Im planning on replacing the whole system next couple of weeks i'll have about 400 max to spend. Here are the options i was thinking of:

Magnaflow resonator 3" center section dynomax turbo mufflers

dynomax x-pipe resonator dual 2.5" center dynomax turbo mufflers

I have NO cats. and will be having the shop make new downtubes what is a good size for them? i do have ported exhaust manifolds 2 1/4? 2 1/2? ALSO should i add a couple long glasspacks BEFORE the resonator to tame things down or is it not needed? current setup is gutted cats and no mufflers sounds terrible and its anoyingly droney.

Also does anyone have a sound clip of these setups?? which is better sound/performance?

thanks

For your setup, 2-1/4's off the manifolds into hiflo cats, then a borla or magnaflow resonator 2 in,1 out, then 3" pipe to 2-1/4" split to Borla mufflers out back.

The cats will help with the sound and resonating, and the hiflo cats barely cause back pressure worth mentioning at your power levels.

2-1/2" are almost impossible to seal properly on the manifolds.

Frit

I dont want cats though. there is not/never will be smog testing here + the extra cost of the stupid things!

W/o cats you will still have a noticeable drone with your tentative set ups.

Unless labour charges are super low where you live,your budget is way too low for a good quality job.You will likely end up with a pos setup.

How is magnaflow/dynomax a pos setup?

Would not a couple glasspacks before the resonator do the same drone wise as cats without restricting the car?

You can buy a hiflow cat for $69...

Besides your complaining about having no get up n go at low RPM's... a set of cats will help out with that.

Frit

How is magnaflow/dynomax a pos setup?

Would not a couple glasspacks before the resonator do the same drone wise as cats without restricting the car?

Im referring to the quality of work.Around here,it would be hard to get it done for less than $1000.

Doing things on the cheap will likely come back to bite you.

my dynomax ultraflow setup sounds great.

High flow semi metallic core cats on ebay go for 69 or so a peice..Well worth it sound wise.

As far as downtubes see what the muffler guy can come up with. They will have to start at 2- 2 1/4 inch but can transition into 2.5.

From a 2.5 dual in dynomax ultraflow resonator out to dual 2.5 and ultra flow mufflers. If you have a late model tank that is. A single out resonator will give a mellower sound s well..You can go single 3-3.5 inch splitting to dual 2/5.

and add cats if you want

youll be MUCH happier and car will feel much better

*update*

Just picked the car up from the shop.

Was going to get some new downtubes BUT the resonator was full of crap the guy called me and i went and looked at it. He had cut it apart to show me and there were pieces of cat and god knows what else jambed up in the first bend. Anyway he made 2 1/4 catless downtubes Y'd into a 26" 3" in/out glasspack and ran 3" mid pipe to the back and tied into the old y. Anyway going back in a few weeks when i have more cash and getting a new y in the back and magnaflow or dynomax's put on. So far cost for downtubes Y and glass pack 3" midpipe + labor $200 it sounds absolutely terrible when you put your foot in it BUT it is all going out the back.

Anyway the good thing here is my car runs better than it ever has! apparently the stock resonator was causing some major power isues, i have ALOT more tourque and ALOT more high rpm power! Also i have more vacuum AND my power brakes work properly! they have not worked right since i rebuilt the engine! It quit its dieng in reverse crap and surging at idle too. Apparently this was causing alot of problems perhaps tripping the knock sensor? Anyway it will be all good with mufflers but right now anything over 2000rpm and it sounds like 2 honda civics at redline :) What do you guys recomend Generic turbos? flowmaster?(have one already truck series 1 in 2 out that he said he could tuck up under the back), Magnaflow? Dynomax??

glad to see something working out for ya.

for quiet dynomax super turbo. basicaly standard dynomax..Performance go for dynomax ultraflows

Has nyone used the welded chambered thrush mufflers that are out now? $35 each at advance! and they look just like a flowmaster. Also they had the straight through stainless magnaflows on sale for $90 each about 17" long.

As I said i thought about having him throw this 3" in dual 2.5" out flowmaster on there for now just to have somthing but im not wanting it tosound like azz. Its a bigblock series muffler IIRC it was not all that loud at all on the truck it was on. Ive heard some 3.8 stangs with flowmasters and they sounded great at low rpms and cruising but crap when your on the go pedal. Also thought about thrush turbos. I dunno i need some sound clips of diffrent mufflers on sc's so i can see what sound i want.

I had a flowmaster as a resonator and two standard dynomax mufflers in myt old setup...SOunded great..

But generally welded chamber mufflers will be loud

look on utube...my exhaut is full dynomax ultraflow now with mettalic core cats. sounds great. people constantly are asking me ~~~ is under my hood...litterally just like that. the standard dynomax flow less but also muffle better...another great choice is a standard borla turbo muffler...borla xs is you want louder

Back