Bad balancer??

freakaftr8

Hey guys, long time SC owner here (5 sc's in the past) somewhat new to the forums (although iv'e been aware and dabbling around on here since 2002?)
Anyway, I have a 95 auto SC. Im totally aware of almost every glitch these cars have but I still love em. Anyway enough ranting. My 95 has a symptom that makes me think the balancer might be on its way out. When I start it cold in the morning, no vibration. As it gets warm, I get vibration in the engine RPM's all the way up but extremely noticable around 1000 rpm. It seems to dissapate above 1000rpm but still there. I replaced plugs and wires and faulty cam sensor since I got her. What would be your thoughts?
Thanks!
Shawn

i got kind of the same problem with my 93sc . when i start it it runs smooth but after like 10 seconds warming up the car starts to vibrate a lil bit and the vacuum drops with the rpm. no problems above 800 rpm..

i have a bhj balancer on the way here ill install it soon (hopefully before the week ends. ) and ill let you know.

Sounds like bad motor mounts. I just replaced the ones on my 91SC and what a differance, they were sitting metal on metal gone. The engine did not move much but had the same vibration at idle and a worse vibration when you rev to about 1000. If they are original there shot. I have seen new ones go bad to.

Sounds like bad motor mounts. I just replaced the ones on my 91SC and what a differance, they were sitting metal on metal gone. The engine did not move much but had the same vibration at idle and a worse vibration when you rev to about 1000. If they are original there shot. I have seen new ones go bad to.

Yea My 95 did that. Mine broke in George on my way to Connecticut from Florida. You couldn't see it while under the car but when I jacked up the motor a bit, the passenger side motor mount was totally torn in half :eek:. I replaced both sides with solid rubber ones. Not that I think they're better but I heard the after market hydraulic ones are questionable and the OEM ones are impossible to get.

I went with the after market hydraulic ones only because I plan on keeping it stock. I like how they take a little more of the normal vibration out of these
V6 engines. You know that thumping you can feel in the wheel while at a light especialy as they get older.:rolleyes: Your right about not being able to tell when there shot as the weight of the motor makes them look fine untill you get her off the mounts a little and thats when you see them torn in half.

Wow thats great guys! Thanks, im going to have to check these mounts out now. Bet i'll find a wasted one.. Thanks again

Well the vibration I was getting increased last night ten fold. It seems that whwn the car was cold, no vibration, as it warmed up, vibration all throught the rpm range was noticed, especially in the lower. Well I went to the movies with some friends and when I got out the car was bibrating so bad it sounded like a biplane. THe dash shook and the moonroof was making all sorts of bad sounds. So I popped the hood and found the bacancet not rotating centrally. I got (limped) it home and pulled the belts. I could feel play up and down in the balancer. I pulled it and the rubber is all cracked up. New one on order. Ill let you know what the new one does for me. Thanks

Back