alternator problems!!! help!!!

tbird3.8sc

i have a 1994 tbird sc. the alt light started coming on/off and soon the bat went dead. with my meter i checked and had no output from alt at bat. simple i thought. buy new one and install. bought new alt and had 16 volts when car started. well drove for a bit and same thing. replaced battery drove it to work and it still puts nothing out. car is running only on new battery it seems. replaced battery ends and check mega fuse on power box to alt. good. while checking wiring today i found that the plug on top of alt that has three wires in it and did not have the middle one hooked to any thing. its a blue wire in the middle of the plug. does this wire hook to anything??? need help please! my book has no charging diagram in it. thanks for ALL suggestions....

i have a 1994 tbird sc. the alt light started coming on/off and soon the bat went dead. with my meter i checked and had no output from alt at bat. simple i thought. buy new one and install. bought new alt and had 16 volts when car started. well drove for a bit and same thing. replaced battery drove it to work and it still puts nothing out. car is running only on new battery it seems. replaced battery ends and check mega fuse on power box to alt. good. while checking wiring today i found that the plug on top of alt that has three wires in it and did not have the middle one hooked to any thing. its a blue wire in the middle of the plug. does this wire hook to anything??? need help please! my book has no charging diagram in it. thanks for ALL suggestions....

Many of us have been there and done this before. The system is a little sensitive and unforgiving. You have one charging issue and it can turn into many. Here's what I did.
  • Inspect all your high voltage battery cables and check them with a multi meter for shorts and resistance. Replace them if they're corroded or test bad.
  • Get another alternator and make sure you new battery is the right CCA rating.
  • Make sure your battery is fully charged before you do the replacement.

You should be fine after that

Back