PDA

View Full Version : Track Day

SCrazy
08-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Anybody interested in heading to New England Dragway either next Wednesday or Friday.

bigpoppa822
08-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Yup, if you're going I'll go, either day works.

I need some rear tires soon, a 15.8 with a 2.7 60' isn't gonna cut it.

ricardoa1
08-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Id love to go but I dont think my pieces will be back from Manny. before then.
I do have line locks now. Maybe I can do a decent burnout now. :rolleyes:

bigpoppa822
08-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Id love to go but I dont think my pieces will be back from Manny. before then.
I do have line locks now. Maybe I can do a decent burnout now. :rolleyes:

Aw man, I want to see your car! I've seen so many pictures of it and I want to see it in person so bad haha.

fastsc92
08-20-2008, 04:00 PM
If it's this Friday....as in the 22nd. I can go. I can maybe even lend my slicks to someone for the night. I wont be able to bring my car, no way to tune it without the wideband. I'm waiting on one voltage regulator which should be here by Friday, but that still leaves me no time to tune this car with the 60lb injectors and new intake set-up.

Plus I still don't have a blow-down tube for the bottle. I'll have to empty it on the street before I install it and head to the track again...:D

SCrazy
08-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Let's shoot for Friday. My car is running pretty well right now so I'm really looking forward to getting back to the track.

Mikessupercoupe
08-22-2008, 11:49 PM
Anybody interested in heading to New England Dragway either next Wednesday or Friday.

I'd be interested if my car is ready, but won't know for sure until

next week. Just need to do a couple of things. Anyone else ready

to go? Maybe Ira is ready with his monster? That clutch should be

broken in by now

Mike:D

Ira R.
08-23-2008, 06:27 AM
I'd be interested if my car is ready, but won't know for sure until

next week. Just need to do a couple of things. Anyone else ready

to go? Maybe Ira is ready with his monster? That clutch should be

broken in by now

Mike:D

Ira' in WV hanging with the Mid Atlantic MN12 boys and enjoying their southern hopsitality at the annual Summer Blast! But thanks for thinking of me.

Ira

SCrazy
08-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Barring bad weather I will definately be at the track on Friday.

Hope to see some of you there.......

bigpoppa822
08-25-2008, 03:10 PM
I might go up on Wednesday, weather permitting. If it doesn't work out, I'll see you Friday Night. There are a lot less cars on Wednesdays.

SCrazy
08-25-2008, 03:41 PM
I generally prefer Wednesdays as well but it's much more difficult for me to get up there from CT on a Wednesday evening.

fastsc92
08-25-2008, 04:07 PM
I'll try to come up for moral support;) but I won't have my car ready. If I do come up do you want to use my slicks and skinnies bigpoppa? This would be for Friday...

bigpoppa822
08-27-2008, 08:44 AM
I'll try to come up for moral support;) but I won't have my car ready. If I do come up do you want to use my slicks and skinnies bigpoppa? This would be for Friday...

Yeah, I'll definitely go on Friday if I can use the slicks and skinnies, that would be awesome.

fastsc92
08-27-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm hoping my tires came in for the fronts, they have been on backorder for most of the year now. I was told by tirerack that I may see them this week, but no garentee. But you can def. use the rears if I go. I'm trying to get my buddy to go up there as well.

I assume you don't have line lock, so a burn-out may be a little harder, and these things need to heat up good in order to stick. It's worth a shot.

As long as you get up there at 5 when the gates open, you can basically hot lap and get back into the lanes. Getting 8 runs in shouldn't be a problem.

bigpoppa822
08-27-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm hoping my tires came in for the fronts, they have been on backorder for most of the year now. I was told by tirerack that I may see them this week, but no garentee. But you can def. use the rears if I go. I'm trying to get my buddy to go up there as well.

I assume you don't have line lock, so a burn-out may be a little harder, and these things need to heat up good in order to stick. It's worth a shot.

As long as you get up there at 5 when the gates open, you can basically hot lap and get back into the lanes. Getting 8 runs in shouldn't be a problem.

Will they be able to warm up enough in 1st or will I have to do second gear burnouts? I'm on a stock clutch and don't wanna walk home, haha.

fastsc92
08-27-2008, 01:08 PM
1st will be fine, as long as you sit there for a little bit. The issue is that it's going to be hard to hold the car during the burnout because the tires will have so much grip. But Friday looks like i can make it to watch. I may drive the SC up there, but not race it without my wideband.

bigpoppa822
08-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Just checked the weather and it's gonna be awesome :)
Hopefully I'll see some of you guys there, make sure to say hey!

FastSC92, do you know of anywhere I can leave stuff at the track without it getting stolen? My rear wheels and a jack will have to be put somewhere and I don't think my friends want to stand in the pits all night guarding my stuff.

fastsc92
08-28-2008, 02:25 PM
we can toss them in whatever car I drive up there with. The front tires haven't showed up yet. I have the rims, but no tires. The rears are a go.

Have you raced it before? If so, what were your 60' times, et, ect? Driving on slicks is a lot different, esp. at high speeds so be prepared for the rear end to feel unstable at the top end of the track.

You need to borrow anything else? N20 would be fun if we had the time to toss it in there. I should give you a set of 3.27's that I have. I need them out of my basement so I'll bring them up if you want them for free.

bigpoppa822
08-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Dude, you're the man. If you just want them off your hands I'll take them and build myself a Mark 8 aluminum pumpkin for them or something. No skinnies is no biggie. I haven't ever driven a car with slicks on them, I went up once but only got 1 pass in before it started to rain and I had to go. I launched around 2k I think and spun through 1st and halfway through second, ended up with like a 2.8 60' and a 15.8 at 98(? could have been 96)mph. The power is there with that high of an MPH, I kept up with the 13.7 NSX next to me when I stopped spinning.

fastsc92
08-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Once these tires get warm you'll have to launch around 4K or above otherwise you'll bog the heck out of the launch. This will be magnified even more with the 2.73's.

A high mph doesn't always mean it'll turn the matching ET. Bad traction often gives higher MPH and in turn a slower ET. With the dyno sheet you had I'd expect it to trap around 95 and pull a low 14 sec pass. If you get the launch down you can easily get some 1.8's with these tires. I can pull high 1.6's/low 1.7's consistantly....but I also launch at a much higher RPM and a steeper gear. I also have a lot of seat time at the track with this car.

This was a video of Ricardo and myself(right lane). I got a lousy launch but still pulled a 1.78 60'. You should be able to expect the same sort of thing once you get it nailed down. http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/ricardoa1/?action=view&current=Picture030.flv

bigpoppa822
08-28-2008, 04:27 PM
It has some more power than what the dyno showed now. When I went there it was 90 degrees, humid, he did the pull in 4th gear so it ran out of juice up top because it was heat soaked, and I drove an hour to get there. It now has downtubes with high flow cats instead of the crappy stock ones. It should make 270 to the ground next time I get it dynoed how it is, the tune just needs a couple small adjustments.

Do you have a helmet? I have my dad's one from his car but they said it was too old, even though I explained it went in a funny car that ran 9.0.

fastsc92
08-28-2008, 04:29 PM
I'll bring a helmet just in case. I have a nasty one from my street bike, but I'll bring the other one i used to use. It's SNELL 95 so you should be ok if you break into the 13's

bigpoppa822
08-28-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm leaving work soon and I can't get on SCCoA.com from home (dunno why damnit) so I'll leave you my email addy: joytc@comcast.net and if you have AIM I'm on whenever I'm home: x187bigpoppa187x

Mikessupercoupe
08-29-2008, 07:16 AM
I generally prefer Wednesdays as well but it's much more difficult for me to get up there from CT on a Wednesday evening.

Brian,

When are you heading out? Anyone else going today?

Give me a call whenever today if you're going, I'm trying

to get a couple of parts on this morning if I don't have too

much work today.

Mike

781 351 9741:cool:

fastsc92
08-29-2008, 07:22 AM
I'll be going just to watch and to lend some parts. I may or may not bring the SC..depends if I have time to take a guess at my tune.

SCrazy
08-29-2008, 08:38 AM
I'll be rolling out of hear as soon as the kids bus shows up, so about 3:30. Should be at the track by about 5:45, I'm hoping the Friday traffic isn't to bad.

bigpoppa822
08-29-2008, 08:38 AM
I think a bunch of people are coming up with me, it should be a good time tonight. See you guys there! I plan on getting there around 6ish, I get out of work at 4 then I'm going to shoot home get what I need and corral my friends before we head up. If anyone needs me:

Tom
joytc@comcast.net

Mikessupercoupe
08-29-2008, 09:35 AM
They have racing fuel there I hope as I'm not sure if my snow kit will be working. I'm checking it out now to see if I can fix it before I go. I'll be driving my Ramp truck up there, so if anyone has any problems I'll still have the wheel lift open. Hopefully noone will need it.:eek:

Mike

bigpoppa822
08-29-2008, 10:19 AM
They have racing fuel there I hope as I'm not sure if my snow kit will be working. I'm checking it out now to see if I can fix it before I go. I'll be driving my Ramp truck up there, so if anyone has any problems I'll still have the wheel lift open. Hopefully noone will need it.:eek:

Mike

Yeah they have a little Sunoco race fuel shack when you first pull in, they do nitrous refills too. I think they were open last time I was up.

Good news on the ramp truck. I'm actually really nervous I'm going to break something with the slicks, and a stock clutch with over 370lb-ft to the ground :(

ricardoa1
08-29-2008, 10:45 AM
I wish I could go but I am going camping this weekend...Plus I dont have my car back together. Still waiting on parts. It might show up today but still have to go camping with friends.

Good luck to yall. Dont break stuff. ;)

fastsc92
08-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Good news on the ramp truck. I'm actually really nervous I'm going to break something with the slicks, and a stock clutch with over 370lb-ft to the ground :(

You'll be fine. I'm actually running a stock type replacement clutch and I have over 450ftlb at the wheels. It's the axles and tranny I'd be worried about. I've never snapped an axle or u-joint but I've snapped two tranny output shafts:rolleyes:.

bigpoppa822
08-29-2008, 01:15 PM
You'll be fine. I'm actually running a stock type replacement clutch and I have over 450ftlb at the wheels. It's the axles and tranny I'd be worried about. I've never snapped an axle or u-joint but I've snapped two tranny output shafts:rolleyes:.

That's what I'm afraid of because I don't know the condition of my car too well. the body has 150K on it. The thing is 99% rust free and in good condition but I don't feel as safe not knowing the car's history. The last thing I need is to snap a halfshaft or an output shaft like you said.

SCrazy
08-29-2008, 02:53 PM
All loaded up just waiting for the kids bus.

See you all in a few hours.

My cell is 860.982.0921

Brian

Ira R.
08-29-2008, 04:15 PM
That's what I'm afraid of because I don't know the condition of my car too well. the body has 150K on it. The thing is 99% rust free and in good condition but I don't feel as safe not knowing the car's history. The last thing I need is to snap a halfshaft or an output shaft like you said.

Never mind. I just realized the time - you guys are probably long gone by now. Let us know how it goes....

Ira

bigpoppa822
09-01-2008, 02:49 PM
I was right, I broke the rear end. It ran a 14.3 at 97.50 with a 1.95 60' on Hoosier Quick Time DOTs. Thats what I get for launching at 5k.

fastsc92
09-01-2008, 05:17 PM
I was right, I broke the rear end. It ran a 14.3 at 97.50 with a 1.95 60' on Hoosier Quick Time DOTs. Thats what I get for launching at 5k.

what broke? The half shafts seemed fine. Only did it when you were turning so it looks like it's possibly the spider gears. Easy fix

bigpoppa822
09-01-2008, 05:57 PM
what broke? The half shafts seemed fine. Only did it when you were turning so it looks like it's possibly the spider gears. Easy fix

I broke the spider gears so I'm going to just drop the subframe and do all new bushings, put in those 3.27s (thanks by the way), rebuild the trac-loc and do whatever else i can afford before school is out.

ricardoa1
09-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Why did you do it at 5000rpms? At least you had some fun....:D

My car is back together 3 days too late :(

bigpoppa822
09-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Why did you do it at 5000rpms? At least you had some fun....:D

My car is back together 3 days too late :(

Just doing what was suggested to me. I did have a good time except for limping it home for an hour. I'm not too bummed because I'm at school now and can't drive it anyway, so I'm just going to drop the subframe and rdo everything.

SCrazy
09-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Somehow I missed the excitement at the end of the night.

It was good to meet you. This was my first trip to the track in 3 years that I didn't break something.

fastsc92
09-03-2008, 04:19 PM
It def. happened at the last launch. Which was the highest. The car was bogging a little during the previous launches, mostly due to the 2.73's. In the end the heavy car, 2.73's and a 5k launch didn't sit well with the spider gears. :o

bigpoppa822
09-03-2008, 08:11 PM
It def. happened at the last launch. Which was the highest. The car was bogging a little during the previous launches, mostly due to the 2.73's. In the end the heavy car, 2.73's and a 5k launch didn't sit well with the spider gears. :o

Just an excuse to make it better haha. Now it will be a heavy car with 3.27s and a built rear end on a 5k launch.