Oil pressure gauge modification

SCCOA5

I have the instructions from Michael Maroschak, SccoO, to convert the S. C. oil pressure idiot "gauge" to a gauge which reflects actual oil pressure. However, those instructions are unclear, at least from my point of view, when looking at the back of the cluster. My 1989 SC has a removeable curcuit board with two resistors, one all red and one with stripes. I don't remember enough of electronics to decypher the markings,so which one is it? Assuming that it is in fact one of those two. I need some help here. Any clarification would helpful and appreciated.

I think that maybe you could post a question over on the Onatrio chapter, mike does check that, also ther are some guys planning onn diong that this weekedn, so hopfully that will help you out some.

SCCOA5,

Did you trace the circuit? You're looking for a resistor which is connected to the oil pressure gauge circuit.

It's been way too long since the last time that I dealt with this stuff, but I don't thing the solid red thing is even a resistor. Resistors have the coloured rings to indicate the value of resistance. Perhaps the red thing is a diode or something other than a resistor.

If you visit the SCCoO Chapter Forum right now, you'll find a thread about this very subject. As Ryan stated, there is a group of Ontario guys that are planning to meet at Ryan's place this Sunday to complete this mod on their cars.

Personally, I've had the different style oil pressure sending unit in my garage for months now, but just haven't had a chance to complete this modification. I'm looking to do this to my car soon.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Sean

I e-mailed Mike M. the link to this thread earlier tonight, hopefully he has a chance to respond here.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

going from memory:

The red thingy maybe a diode. I really can't recall details of the circuit trace but if you follow the trace for the guage, the resistor will have stripes for sure (probably with a beige body).

No problem Ed.

I may not always respond right away and don't get to every thread but do try to help where I can. And you are correct! That triple car garage is quite a handfull. Goodnight and hope that helps SCCOA5.

Mike,

Triple car garage??? ...Oh, that's right. You needed a home for that new MXZ! ;) ...Very nice.

SCCOA5,

Any luck yet with the conversion?

Best regards,

Sean

Yeah, I'm getting old

Too old to work on cars outside in the rain or dark or cold! Room for 3, the SC, the Beater, & the family-mobile. The MXZ will spent most of its life up North. At least until I start "fixing" it up too!

I forget. What conversion?

Back