abs pressure sensor

decipha

i believe my abs pressure sensor on my red sc is going bad. The reason why i say this is because when i first turn the ignition on in the morning the abs pump runs for about a second and shuts off. Then when i depress the brake pedal both the anti-lock and brake lights come on with the pump, then they shut off after the pump has cycled. I already changed my accumulator with a known working one so I know that isin't the problem.

On my black sc that has perfect brakes, in the morning when i turn the ignition on the pump stays on for about 6 seconds. I can then hit the brakes about 10 times before the pump runs again.

I've searched but i really can't find much info about how to check the abs pressure switch. Should I just jump it off for a couple seconds and try the brakes?

any ideas are greatly appreciated.

I am having the same problem. There was another thread exactly like this that said to replace the relay. I am sure some more will chime in.

relay is new, changed it about 4 months ago.

i'm almost 100% sure its the pressure sensor

if the abs pump doesn't stay on for approx. 6 seconds in the morning on cold brakes then something is wrong with the pressure sensor.

Have you pulled the codes yet?

Have you checked for leaks? Any fluid under the car when parked? AFAIK, the ARC prressure switch can leak and cause issues similar to yours...

Also - From this link on diagnosing the ABS...

"The failure of the Hydraulic Pump Motor Relay is a common occurrence. The normal failure modes are the contacts welded themselves shut causing the Hydraulic Pump Motor to run continuous or the relay failing to close which prevents normal pump motor operation. To verify relay operation it would be possible to disconnect the harness connector to the Anti-Lock Pressure Switch and ground pin 4 of the connector to ground.(See Figure 5) This will complete the circuit for the coil of the Hydraulic Pump Motor Relay and should cause the pump to turn on.
  • If the pump does not run most likely the relay is bad and must be replaced.
  • If the motor does run the Pressure Switch may be the faulty part and should be replaced.
The FORD Shop Manual states that if the Pressure Switch is replaced the Hydraulic Pump Motor Relay should be replaced as well."

Last edited:
there is no codes, my lights go out as soon as the system check is done so i don't have any faults

relay is new

hydraulic pump works, relay works. everything works brakes work perfect.

no leaks verified by checking under the car and since i replaced the accumulator the fluid level hasn't went down.

no hard pedal at all, nothing showing any sign of being bad/wearing out.

my only problem is that when i press the brakes the abs and brake light come on then go off really fast more so like a flicker.

I have isolated the problem. Seems as though I have another bad accumulator ball.

accumulator ball replaced with a new unit from S.I.A. electronics brakes now work perfect for the first time since I've owned the car.

I contacted Prior Reman which no longer carries the accumulator ball for teves II he recommend S.I.A. I payed $115 shipped to my door by far the best thing i've done to this car since I've owned it.

Phone number is: 1-800-737-0915 the man I spoke with is Kevin, hes knowledgeable with the Teves II and is familiar with the supercoupes.

Are your referring to S.I.A. electronic's? The company that does reflashing for the ECU's?

humm, interesting? Did the guy at proir say why they are not carrying the accumulater ball anymore... just curious why is all?

Jeff B.

yep thats the company

man from prior said they discontinued them because they weren't selling enuff of them

For quie a while Prior Reman never had them in stock when they were contacted. Nice to know they no longer support the TEVES Mark II system since they used to include a new accumulator as part of their reman work.

The accumulator bought from SIA....did it have the hex insert like the Ford OEM one or is the top all smooth lke the one Prior had been selling?

Duffy
FYI
From a repair I made on my 90 a couple months ago. This accumulator has the hex and corrrect decal. The pressure switch and accumulator I used were new Ford parts. It is the switch most dealerships tell you is obsolete. I purchased them from www.directfordparts.com. I think they call themselves SilverState now, but the link switches to their new name. Good people to deal with.
Switch was $122 & accumulator was $183 + shipping. So if you need the correct looking stuff (decals & labels) on parts these looked good.

Later
dbd

Back