PDA

View Full Version : FMIC mock up

nickleman60
08-23-2008, 11:04 AM
I started mocking up my fmic yesterday. The ic core is 19.5"x11"x3" with 2.5" outlets and has a 12" pusher fan. I plan on keeping my ac so I installed a shorty condensor and the stock radiator will be removed and a 24"x19" aluminum radiator will take it's place to help cooling. In order to mount the ic where I wanted I had to sacrifice my hood latch and some of the bumper support and header panel to give me plenty of clearance for the ic and ic fan. I'll mount the ic now and mock up the tubes after I install my motor.

nickleman60
08-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Well, I've been messing with this all morning and after studying the set up I'm trying to acheive I realized that I might have room to keep the stock 94 pusher fan in front of the condensor and still have room for my fmic and fan. Luckily there is enough room, the only thing I might do is move the pusher fan from the stock location to be more centered up on the condensor. Any imput would be welcome.

neverfastenough
08-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Buy a U bend and cut it in half and use them for 90's going into your IC..I wouldnt trust those silicone elbows....even with bead rolled ends and good t bolt clamps I have to keep an on all my couplers. I can see those elbows blowing off.

nickleman60
08-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Buy a U bend and cut it in half and use them for 90's going into your IC..I wouldnt trust those silicone elbows....even with bead rolled ends and good t bolt clamps I have to keep an on all my couplers. I can see those elbows blowing off.

I fabbed up a FMIC on my 89 a couple of years ago and I've never had a problem with the elbows.

ironworker
08-23-2008, 07:25 PM
i agree get u bend tube .. i fab up my fmic..i throw away those 90% rubber after i cute them up and mother f$$$%% them for not working and leaking..

ive got a 3 ich pipe and 25x12 intercooler..ill see if i can find pics or do the search and u will find it in the socal part

ironworker
08-23-2008, 07:33 PM
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74497

scfix92
08-23-2008, 09:38 PM
I like iron workers, but yours is on its way, I agree with all metal though. I do have a question couldnt you go to the muffler shop nd get them to bend some pipe for it or is that the wrong aluminum I was just thinking useing less joints would be better.

nickleman60
08-23-2008, 10:10 PM
My 1st attempt at a FMIC turned out pretty good, the i/c had the outlets on opposite sides like Ironworkers, I wanted a cleaner, less cluddered look to my FMIC this time around so I went with the outlets on the same side. I couldn't just cut a u bend into 2 90's because the bend isn't a tight enough radius for my set up. You can buy the tight radius 90's but I'm not going to bother with it right now. The couplers that came with this kit are 4-ply and they're pretty stout plus I always use t-bolts, never worm clamps on all of the connections. Here's an old pic of the FMIC on my 89.

Once I mock up the tubes, I'll get my buddy at work to weld them up all nice and pretty in order to have as few joints as possible.

scfix92
08-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Wow! daddy like! how can you get it all pretty and chromed or polished or will you have to have them powdercoated. I like it alot and I am now thinking I am going this route, I dont have to build this car in a week or a year it is a toy so I have the time. I was thinking of buying the magnum powers fmic cause I would have the money at tax time and I saw there little if you are thinking of buying t-bird parts you better do it while they still have them. So I was going to buy it now I can buy something else with the money I save. I am gonna research it more but I wont be able to keep the pipes black though. It looks good though.

My 1st attempt at a FMIC turned out pretty good, the i/c had the outlets on opposite sides like Ironworkers, I wanted a cleaner, less cluddered look to my FMIC this time around so I went with the outlets on the same side. I couldn't just cut a u bend into 2 90's because the bend isn't a tight enough radius for my set up. You can buy the tight radius 90's but I'm noy going to bother with it right now. The couplers that came with this kit are 4-ply and they're pretty stout plus I always use t-bolts, never worm clamps on all of the connections. Here's an old pic of the FMIC on my 89.

Once I mock up the tubes, I'll get my buddy at work to weld them up all nice and pretty in order to have as few joints as possible.

ScrapSC
08-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Same here on the 90 silicone elbows.... when I fired mine up it would suck them in and then with I hit the throttle they would pop off. This was with beads welded on both ends. I went ahead and got a couple metal 90's and got it within a couple inches of the intercooler and used hump hoses.