IC fan controller

KMT

I'm investigating various methods of controlling an IC fan (1990 SC w/auto trans) - all include a relay:
  1. Run full-time w/key on
  2. Switched: on/off
  3. Triggered via main radiator cooling fan (hi or lo?)
  4. Triggered via MAF voltage so that it runs at idle

I'm leaning towards using #2 & #4.

#4 would make use of a circuit board that would sense idle voltage and rising limit so that the fan would stay on for a bit after being triggered, to help avoid abrupt on/off/on while creeping along in traffic.

Anyone see any liabilities w/#4, or have suggestions for other methods, thanks.

#4 - Potential circuit loading due to the additional circuitry added to sense the MAF voltage which could affect the reading the EEC then "sees".

I used #1...this helps to cool the IC when not in boost and doesn't pull enough amps to cause any problems. Trans cooler fan is wired the same.

David

#4 - Potential circuit loading due to the additional circuitry added to sense the MAF voltage which could affect the reading the EEC then "sees".

That was my concern as well.

Discussion of the controller board for this type of use says "Note that the SVS won’t cause any additional load on this output".

The board works with 0~5V (frequencies not supported). Are these correct specs for SC MAF outputs: 0.571045 ~ 4.76807 ..?

Could TPS voltage perhaps be used instead..?

I have mine wires on a relay that kicks it on when the car is running. I also have a switch with an led idicator out under the hood so i can turn it off/on if needed. IE winter time i leave it off

An I/C fan on the stock I/c or a double wide i/c will provide limited if no assistance when blowing down the road, or taking a run down the strip. Where it will help is when driving back to the pits, and heading to the starting line. (or sitting in traffic)

So I'd say hook it up to a switch. On my 90, the fan keeps the physical temp of the intercooler and tubes cooler after a run down the track than when I didn't have it.

You can get much better performance if you put a shorter A/C condenser on so that air flow is un-interrupted to the intercooler.

I'm going with a switch (& relay) for now. I'll see how that works in traffic (the local freeways resemble parking lots a bit too often, it seems)...might be all that's needed.

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen - enjoy your weekend! :)

Why not use a wot switch for nitrous on it with a relay of course so that when you get on it it cuts on but if you are just cruising it is off. just an idea but it may possibly work. There has to be a way for it to work like this. Other wise I would just use a relay and ignition so it runs all the time, this easier and will always work. One last idea would be to run a spal controller I think its pwm is part of the model number any way you could run it to where it cuts on at 180 degrees or so, but with this idea you are basically do ing the same as running it off the ignition and you just spent another 100.00 just some ideas and good luck to you.

An I/C fan on the stock I/c or a double wide i/c will provide limited if no assistance when blowing down the road, or taking a run down the strip. Where it will help is when driving back to the pits, and heading to the starting line. (or sitting in traffic)

So I'd say hook it up to a switch. On my 90, the fan keeps the physical temp of the intercooler and tubes cooler after a run down the track than when I didn't have it.

You can get much better performance if you put a shorter A/C condenser on so that air flow is un-interrupted to the intercooler.

Mike,

What do I have to pay you to make me a wiring kit for my IC? :D;)

This is on your track car, right?

I don't have a track car...both my SCs are street driven year round. I ran with the IC fan and transmission cooler fan running constantly for several years when the 91 SC was my daily driver. Still has the trans cooler fan wired the same, but the IC fan was deleted when I changed to a MP FMIC.

David

>...both my SCs are street driven year round. ...the IC fan was deleted when I changed to a MP FMIC.

Ahh...I see, thanks for the note.

Back