Yellowing SC wheel, help!

D

Deep6

Yellowing SC wheel, help!

hey Folks,

i usually post tech questions in the tech forum, but it seems that the non-tech forum gets more traffic.

Anyway, I was doing my "spring cleaning" the other week on my bird and I noticed that one of my original SC wheels was turning yellow! The other wheels looked fine, but No matter how much I tried to wash it, it remained the same.

Is there some sort of Cleaner or creme that I can use on the wheels or is there a bigger problem. It almost looks like the rim has been exposed to too much heat...kinda like the plastic rims that get cooked after a while.

Try

Try A-Z wheel cleaner, i think that's what it's called. My rims did the same thing after last winter, they started turning yellow, I sprayed this stuff on and it came right off, I was amazed.

Crowdid,

Who makes A-Z wheel cleaner, and I think it's eagle one, but I know that they have different formulations for different kinds of wheels. Which kind should I get?

has anyone else experienced this problem and what did they use to solve it?

Re: Crowdid,

Mothers Wheel Cleaner, the one on the red bottle. Takes oxidation/soot off ss exhaust also very easily.

Yeah

I'm pretty sure it's eagle one, I don't think there are really any different formulas.

Re: Yellow wheels

I believe this is caused by the polylaminate coating applied to the wheel. The purpose is to protect the alloy from road grime/salt, rocks, and other things that might damage the appearance. Sometimes overspray from tire cleaner will cause the coating to yellow, and sometimes it just comes with age. Make sure aggresive cleaners & polishes intended for tires do not overspray onto the wheel when you use them.

Digital...

I found out the hard way on my Old Chrysler LeBaron GTS Turbo that had alloys on it, I used westley's bleech white on the tires. Did a great job of cleaning those up but it stained the alloys. There were these bluish/white stains on them and it looked awful.

I have NOT used any harsh cleaners on my tires since getting my SC, but now it looks like the "clearcoat" on one of my rims is turning a slight yellow in some spots (the "spokes"). I know that eagle one has or had formulations for chrome wheels, magnesium wheels, aluminum wheels and steel wheels. Just don't know which one Crowdid used.

I'll also give the Mother's a shot too, I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Back