Little ACT test

Jogi

I did some poorman datalogging (videocam, Voltage meter...) about ACT while accelerating 50-100mph (about 2700-5100rpm) using 3.rd gear.. Weather was cool & nice, about 59-69F and time between 1,2,3 acceleration was about 15-20seconds, just to get feeling how fast IC starts to heatsoak.. 4.th runs was after few minutes cooling drive and this time using IC fan (turned on after 3.rd run)
I have couple of more runs after that too but I have not yet typed data in..

Boost was about 12psi at 2700 and after 3500 it was full 15 (stock boost/vacuum meter..)

I have been thinking to try so called "1 mile speed challenge" which is held nearby airfield and it seems that my tbird is heatsoaked even with this kind of little acceleration test... so it might be useful for that kind of "long run" to get water injection to cool intake air... anyway here are temp graphs for you to see.. (one F, one C scale)

attachment.php

Attachments

• act_f.gif
    act_f.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 198
  • act_c.gif
    act_c.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Its not going to help you logging the voltage for ACT because the "transfer" function so to speak is not linear which explains the extremely high temps your seeing there.

Here's a link that explains what the voltage is compared to the temperature.

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=29

If you've logged your voltage you can apply it to those numbers and get your temperature readings. Now typically in our cars with a stock tune timing starts getting pulled at 120F and when the ACT's hit 180F you have a full 8 degrees pulled, and thats only if you haven't hit the knock sensor. When I datalogged my car in similar weather, and running 91 octane my knock sensor kicked in at around 142F for a total of 12 degrees timing pulled.

Frit

Last edited:
Here's a link that explains what the voltage is compared to the temperature.

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=29

Well, as you see it is temperature on Y-axis in my charts, guess where I found voltage vs. temp table :)

edit: Gasoline I use here is 98 RON, which translates about 93-94 octane rating you are using (usa)
Hmm, I measured the voltage directly from 2 pins on the ACT... at least it was looking ok, over 3 Volts (50-68F) when cold engine was idling few seconds and over 2 Volts (86-104F) when engine was warm and no boost for a while.. If I was wrong and measurement should be taken between one ACT pin to ground then I have to take measurements again..

edit2: MPII + 10% overdrive + morana heads + stock IC, etc. but just stock cam.. dunno if they make temps a bit high..

Last edited:
I've observed similar results in the past. The stock AC condenser really hampers cooling. A shorter AC condenser will really help lower temps. If you had installed a cam along with that you'd have less boost, less heat, and more power.

When I was running a stock IC, I also was data logging around 170deg at the end of a 4th gear pull at the track. So your numbers aren't off.

Once I made my front mount I was seeing temps about 15 deg. higher than ambient.:D

Sorry me bad obviously.... I've never seen ACT's climb that high on my car as the highest I've seen is about 145 in all my datalogs, and thats WOT in 3rd (auto) hitting 4500 rpm's and climbing.

Me go now.

Frit

About knock retard.. does it leave any ecu codes to see... and how the knock retard works? does it retard more and more if knock continues or is it just x degrees and no more after that?
I have not feel any sudden knock retard effects ever, but who knows if ecu just silently does it's job...

And then about my temp "problem"... water injection could be easy solution but from what I have read, water injection seems to delay cylinder pressure peak and to get any more hp I should advance the ignition timing too to bring cylinder pressures back to "good" normal area..?

New cam is out of question at this time, price and labor is bit too much for now.

Any thoughts??

Back