PDA

View Full Version : 97 thunderbird rear end problems

scfix92
08-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Ok thought I was having brake problems but I took the rear wheel off today to find my half shaft moving all over the world and the 26mm nut or whatever the size nut that hold the hub to the half shaft was loose. I was able to take the bolt off with my fingers no tools. Any way I replace one on my 92 like 4 years ago and I cant remember what else I need to do. its a 97 thunderbird 4.6 I do have an auto with abs and traction lock in case you need that info

How do I get the hub off?
How do I replace this so I can have it back on the road?
I have all the brake parts to fix the brake side but what else will I need

I posted this on tccoa too I need info pretty quick so I posted here to in hopes of quick responses

seawalkersee
08-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Are you trying to put the nut back on? Or is your brake bearing bad? If you are trying to replace the bearing, you have to pull the spindle off (well....you dont HAVE to but it will make it easier). Then, pull the snap ring off of the inside of the spindle where the bearing rides. Then, press out the hub. Then, press out the bearing. You will want it off of the car to do this because it takes about a ton of pressure to get the initial "pop" of the bearing coming unseated. Then, press the new one in.

Chris

scfix92
08-24-2008, 03:22 PM
yeah so I have to have a press good stuff, no way this is happening today. thankyou for the info I remembered using a press at school but I thought I could us some other tool

seawalkersee
08-24-2008, 03:30 PM
If you have a Grade 8 or higher piece of all thread, you could get it done if you thread it through the center and pull the hub and then the bearing through it. Pressing it back on will be tough but doable.

Chris

scfix92
08-24-2008, 03:46 PM
do you think a 1 ton arbor press will work I can also get a 6 ton a frame press but they are at harbor freight what ya think.

seawalkersee
08-24-2008, 07:50 PM
The one ton press would work. But if you do not have a bearing yet, why not just get a used one from a bone yard and swap the whole thing out. Then, get a new bearing and have a spare.

Chris

scfix92
08-25-2008, 12:01 AM
yeah I got a spindle from my own bone yard, or should I say my backyard. the spindle came from a 89 sc and it works great. The brackets and rotor do not fit with out the calipers from the sc's. I appreciate all your help I am going to buy a 6 ton press from harbor freight so I can fix the other stuff. It was a miracle that I took it apart today I thought it was just bad brakes and it turned out is was the bearings. I pulled the spindle off and hlf the bearing fell out, Man I am so lucky. Thankyou, so much for your quick response cause it helped alot.

seawalkersee
08-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Yeah...BTW, the rear sway bar, brakes, and a few other things are hot from those cars. I have the rear brakes on my 97 because they are bigger. Do not notice a huge change or anything, but I figured what the hey. The sway bar on the other hand....you will notice as soon as you drive around a corner. Definately worth the change.

Chris

Eduardo
09-01-2008, 03:40 AM
Did the V8 Tbirds come with a posi unit in them?

seawalkersee
09-01-2008, 09:57 AM
No. Only the SCs.

Chris

Dirtyd0g
09-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Did the V8 Tbirds come with a posi unit in them?

Some did. Read the tag on the diff. 97's have better odds than earlier years. If the car has traction control it did not have the traction lock.
Alan

Eduardo
09-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Would the tag actually say posi or something? Or would there be number to denote posi? Thanks!

Dirtyd0g
09-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Posi is a GM term. Ford uses a limited slip. The tag will read the gear code such as 3 2 7. If the unit is a limited slip it will be a 3 L 2 7.
You can also read the door jam code.
Alan

1owner89
09-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Hey SCfix92 what did your rear brakes sound like? I may have the same problem with my 97. The rear brakes have always sounded strange even with new roters and pads.

BTW. The majority of 97's with the V8 that were not ordered with traction control automatically came with a limited slip rear end per an old Ford salesman I chatted with once. Not sure how true that was but most I've seen on lots seem to have limited slip or traction control.