h/b broke

pock1

sup guys i've fallen prey to the h/b problem. i was just leaving the dmv just a few blocks from my firehouse,i was on;y going bout 10mph when i heard a (tinkle) and my car shut off.:eek: so i pulled to the side let it stop, put it in park to restart......car crakned but no start:mad:.i said .awmannnnnn.i look under the car,opened the hood,tried to feel the bolt(head)......nothing crappppppppp. so i took a stroll around the car where it first shut off...........bam! there's the top of the bolt! gezzzzzzz i thought i saved myself from this mishap a monthand a half ago when i did an oil change and saw the rubber bands that were comming from the hb , so i had a spare and changed it....i didn't have a impact gun nor did u know the specs for tighing the bolt(brand new bolt n washer from ford) sheared rite offffff.so im thinking that it wasn't tight enough ,,,,,,and walked it self off till it broke. but here the thing,half the bolt is in the crank and,,,the rear og the hb shaft is still on the crankshaft.. so i need the tourqe specs on the bolt.and can i use another bolt to put back on? i know i know buy a new bolt n washer.thats the easy part.i now have to some how get the rest of the bolt out the crankshaft,and get the rest of the hb off. i may have to change the (orange seal ) in front of the broken hb to get it off.....what u think?:confused:

h/b

ok thx guys on that qustion, how do i get off the remaning h/b that still on the crankshaft?puller?

ok thx guys on that qustion, how do i get off the remaning h/b that still on the crankshaft?puller?
When mine broke I drilled out a guide that was slightly bigger than the drill I was using for the extractor to remove the bolt from the crank.You'll most likely need a similar guide so as to keep the bit centered and not wander into the crankshaft.I then drilled a hole in the broken peice of sh..OOPS,I mean H/B.I tapped both holes (very soft metal)and pulled it off with a small sized steering wheel type puller.It seems a little daunting at first but wasn't too bad once I got going at it.Good luck!:)

hb

here is a pic of my broken h/b........1 i took off the spare part car, and the 1 with the pully is mine that i took off......what a pain in the .........:mad: what i did was,,,,,,,took off the front crank gaget to get the rear off the h/b off.2 taps chizzle.off it went........nothing scraped........got new gasket and bolt from ford. drilled the screw in the h/b..broke 2 bits........reveresed the screw.whoola..bolt out.45 min job........whewwwwwwwww

Back