AOD Tranny Problems

jpetillo

It seems that I might be the next victim of the slipping automatic. I have a 1989 SC with about 105K miles. I've noticed some slipping on odd occasions lately. However, now when it goes to shift into 3rd it has nothing - just slip.

The fluid's at the right level.

I'm in MA. Does anyone recommend a shop that knows how to deal with these transmissions?

Is this the typical thing that happens when it needs a rebuild, or is there something to try out or check first?

Thanks!

Mine did that for quite some time before the whole thing burned up. Look for something in your local BBB.

Is this the typical thing that happens when it needs a rebuild, or is there something to try out or check first?
Yes. typical.. You COULD try rebuilding the valve body and things might work OK for a short time, but the problems will come back. Look for a shop that charges $1300 or more for a rebuild. Usually, anything less means they're cutting corners. Having rebuilt my red car's AOD 6 times before getting it right, I can tell you it must be done precisely. No sloppy anything.

The valve body will not help much as it's th OD band is what is breaking down. Unless it's replaced, nothing will change.

Slipping usually means the friction material is worn off the OD band, or the clutch plates inside the transmission. When you lose that material, it will slip and eventually burn up.
You can check the fluid. Any idea how many times it was replaced in the last 100k miles ? Does it look dark, or smell burnt ?

- Dan

Last edited:
All, Thanks for the comments. Yes, I was aware of the need to get someone who knows what they're doing on these tranny's. I don't know how to find that out who. I was hoping someone here might know. I'll ask the Ford dealer who they suggest, and see what they say.

I'm not the original owner, but do know hat the fluid was never changed. I'll check out the smell & color. I didn't notice anything odd when I checked it a few weeks ago.

Thanks again!

Never changed ? :eek:
You probably cant tell by just checking the fluid on the dipstick. If you dropped the pan, you would probably see it is pretty dirty with alot of friction material in the bottom and metal on the magnet.

- Dan

I went to check the condition of the fluid on the tranny dipstick. It was a bit dirty looking, and it smells a bit burnt. But I also noticed the clip on the linkage had come off so the cable is not connected.

The question is will just reconnecting the cable solve my problem, and perhaps changing fluid buy me any time?

Thanks for all the comments.

John

>The question is will just reconnecting the cable solve my problem, and perhaps changing fluid buy me any time?

Depends on the amount of time the cable spent disconnected. Running without that cable is a first class ticket to tranny hell.

Don't drive more until it is reliably re-installed. And if you can do a filter and fluid change yourself, it might be worth the $$ to try. Especially since an 0-haul is typically in the 4-figure range :)

Note that one way to speculate on last filter change is how much road dirt is built up on the trans pan.

Okay, thanks. It's been parked since the slipping was reported by my son. I'll reliably reconnect, and then do a fluid change and see what that buys me.

Okay, thanks. It's been parked since the slipping was reported by my son. I'll reliably reconnect, and then do a fluid change and see what that buys me.

If you find a little yellow plastic plug in the bottom of the pan, you know its origional!:D

Let us know

Today I put the cable back on, but I had to fudge something up to connect it up. and it's a bit sloppy & loose. Does the Ford dealer have the fittings for that linkage? It appears to have had some kind of grommet. I have nothing left from the original setup - everything fell off mine.

Anyway, the car still slipped as it went into third and will take no power without slipping instantly. If I drive in D, as opposed to OD, it does the same exact thing.

Is there anything else to try before taking it to a tranny shop?

Thanks!

>Is there anything else to try before taking it to a tranny shop?

Did you already drop the pan/filter? Find anything?

Last edited:
Young-SC-Owner: Okay, I'll start the tranny shop search.

Can any of you folks suggested a tranny shop in MA?

90blkbrd: Thanks, I'll drop by the ford dealer and see what they have.

KMT: No, I haven't dropped the pan. What would I be looking for? Would I find anything that would keep me away from the tranny shop?

Thanks all!

>No, I haven't dropped the pan.

I thought that was part of your plan. To see if you could buy some time. Just curious how it turned out.

>What would I be looking for?

Puppies....very angry puppies....

>Would I find anything that would keep me away from the tranny shop?

Depends on what, if anything fell out :) - always the slim chance your trans is too far gone to be worth repairing and need a full replacement.

It might be nice to know, just to keep from being worked over by a shop. No big deal either way.

Good luck in any case.

KMT,

Yes, good points. Dropping the pan was my plan, but I've had limited time to work on the car. That problem isn't changing, and I need the car going again.

I share your concern about being worked over by a tranny shop.

What's the price point at which I do a replacement instead of a repair? What are my alternatives for replacement transmissions. This is a stock '89 AOD.

Also, for a rebuild, are there any kits that are better than the original parts that I should consider?

Thanks!

>What's the price point at which I do a replacement instead of a repair?

The concern would be:

• Opening yourself up for more ways to be fleeced
  • If your trans had to be replaced outright, and didn't qualify for a core.

Either of these would naturally bring the bill up.

I seriously doubt your trans isn't rebuildable, but again, with no information about its current condition, anyone tearing it down can tell you anything and you're basically obligated to follow along.

Of course, how you approach this can also depend on what you feel your time is worth.

A bill for a proper rebuild, with a fresh converter, could approach $1700.00 in most areas.

I simply like to know as much as I can about the current mechanical conditions surrounding repairs done by a shop just to safeguard against being improperly billed. No one likes paying for something we don't need, but of course that happens all the time :(

Back