Stock brakes............

ricardoa1

We just got the red SC registered for my bro. And was driving the car and checking things out making sure its all Scopestetic. I slamed on the brakes to see if the car had good brakes. I remember the stock brakes stinking but Jesus....This thing would not even make the tires bark or the abs engage. Are the stock brakes really that bad. The pedal was to the floor and it seems like an never ending brake fade....

i also had trouble with the stock brakes. they would be ok under normal conditions, but once you got some heat in them they faded badly. i replaced the rotors and pads with kvr and the fade was gone. the overall braking was still not great but much better. now i have done away with the abs and switched to cobra rear and gt (mustang) front brakes. she'll send you through the windshield now.

Yes, the stock brakes suck that bad:). Sometimes ya just gotta hear it. I wont go much over 100 unless I plan to coast down to normal speeds because brake fade is so bad.

I've had decent luck with my brakes. They are just drilled and slotted rotors front and rear, but they are the same size as stock and use stock calipers with some good pads. However, I don't do much heavy braking, but if I do brake harding, the ABS kicks in right away. I don't notice much or any fade with the driving that I do.

His is a 93' and has the later hydraulics. I think the later hydraulics are also inadecuate for the size of the rotors.

It seems that the earlier braking system works ok with the undersize rotors in a panic situation. But the later hydraulics and the undersize rotors is a bad combination.

The fact that you are able to get the abs to kick in when slaming on the brakes, seems to indicate that the hydraulics on earlier cars helps with more force to the calipers.

I would flush the system (I use the Valvoline Synthetic) and upgrade the pads ( I use KVR) plus Disks if needed and that should be good for most street cars. I run those and can toss you to the windshield if needed using Goodyear F1-G3 tires. Have done a few autocross events and not have brake fade. The Cobra big brake upgrade is done quite a bit also, but does cost a few bucks to do off the bat. Have never had the ABS engage, heh maybe it does not work..:D

I would flush the system (I use the Valvoline Synthetic) and upgrade the pads ( I use KVR) plus Disks if needed and that should be good for most street cars. I run those and can toss you to the windshield if needed using Goodyear F1-G3 tires. Have done a few autocross events and not have brake fade. The Cobra big brake upgrade is done quite a bit also, but does cost a few bucks to do off the bat. Have never had the ABS engage, heh maybe it does not work..:D

I see you sport a 93 SC...Keeps proving my theory...;)

i got 2 bone stock 90 sc's with the stock teves II abs and they lock up pretty easily.

never experienced brake fade on either one of the cars
(besides when the accumulator went bad lol)

What I am seeing and drawing conclusions and I am sure if more people post here is that.
In low speed panic stopping.
89-92 SCs with the Teves II system will be able to lockup the tires activating the ABS system to start its pumping feature.
And later 93-95 with the IV will simple fade to a stop, without hitting lock up and engaging the ABS. Only in wet or Snow will the car be able to get to the point of using the ABS, on the later cars.

I had issues with this even with Mark Viii brakes on my car and later Cobra brakes. I can only sometimes under th right conditions engage the ABS on my car. But the difference is that I am actually slowing down but with my brothers car if feels like an accident waiting to happen.

Rain and Snow its no problem the cars ABS works great.

So I think the earlier cars have a much better althought not very reliable braking system.

Please keep commenting if you have an earlier car or a later and let me know if the braking system works like I have described.

Change out the brake fluid. Check the rubber lines. My 93 was so much better after switching to new stainless flex lines. (though I wasn't happy to see the flexible rubber line coming out of the ABS box for the drivers side line)

Likely issues are glazed or bad pads and glazed or bad rotors.

Back