bad slave cylinder = stiff clutch pedal?

Ronald Wendt

Ever since I put in a new Spec stage 1 clutch and their aluminum flywheel, I have been amazed how stiff it is and how hard I have to push the pedal down. At the time I put in a new master cylinder but not the slave as it was only a couple of years old. I have less than 3000 miles on the new parts

it has started to leak fluid, and it seems to be at the slave.

I just wonder if the slave is the cause of the stiffness? If a stage 1 is this stiff I would have to be a weight lifter to move a stage 2 or 3

Everyone who has driven my car all have the same complaint so its not just me. On the other hand I have no idea how it should feel

Comments?

Ron

I've got the spec stage 2 and it is a very stiff clutch. You'll get a heck of a workout driving through the city. Bad slave cylinder wont cause a stiff pedal. For the hard pedal you feel you cam blame the springs on the pressure plate of the clutch assembly.

i have the stage 2 clutch aswell, and ya its a pain in the rear with how stiff it is, hence prob the reason why my slave went out lol

i have a luk pressure plate... i can barely rest my left foot on the clutch pedal and it'll disengage.

The clutch that came with the car was on its way out and the flywheel was bad so I never knew what it should feel like

Anyone out there with a Spec Stage 1 clutch that can comment? I figured a Stage 2 would be real stiff

Ron

I think the stage I and II have the same pressure plate, just different clutch disks. They are way too stiff, stupid stiff.

If you haven't replaced the small plastic bushing that holds the clutch pedal to the master cylinder push rod, then you better do it now. The part is only about $3 from ford and is much better that the one you can get at the parts store in the help section.

The best mod I ever did to my car was dumping my spec clutch with a good old fashioned luk.

You may want to put a wrench on the bleed valve of the slave just to make sure it is good and tight before yanking the tranny.

good luck
Bob

I've got the centerforce dual friction, not stiff at all, good thing about the centerforce's, my slave is shot now too though :( i drove an SC with the spec stage II and it was REDICULOUSLY stiff.

Sean

Its weird, my buddy has a 99 Mustang GT and he's got the spec I in it, and he says that its not really any different than stock feel.

Sean

btw if your slave goes out the pedal will go to the floor and feel like there is nothing on it. fyi :)

Back