By Pass Valve

kenewagner

For a project I am working on I have found a piston style By pass valve. It is far more compact and simple in design. The current style by pass on the SC is a butterfly style. I am Not looking for something that could be used on a roots style blower. I am looking for something diffrent as well as more efficient. Does anyone have any experence with this type of By Pass Valve. Just looking for opinions http://www.totallytwistedcreations.com/html/superchargers.html

Ken

No experience, but an opinion... I suppose it would work and may be a solution if tired of dealing with shaft seals failing on the center shaft of the butterfly. Piston would need to have some sort of seals on it to keep the pressure from going around. That would make me want to be able to rebuild the piston assembly in something like that, as to get a good seal it likely wears.

I did a lot of research on bypass valve's, if your going to use a turbo style valve, make sure it is big, atleast 40mm...they only open a hair so I'm guessing the smaller one's would have flow problems.

They do seal a lot better than the plate design but they are pricey and finding a large one is difficult. Also I think the movement is not as quick, the valve itself is slower to open versus a plate design, don't know if that effects anything but something to be noted.

I decided to go with the remote bypass, half the price of any turbo style bypass valve, scroll through this guy's website

http://www.mscperformance.com/SCpg4.html

We make a bypass pretty much just like the one on that website. It's a butterfly valve with a vacuum actuator. It is small and we can supply a weldable flange to attach it to any aluminum housing.

On a throttled supercharger application you don't need a really big bypass valve regardless of HP level because the bypass only functions when the throttle is closed. On turbo and centrifugal applications the compressor is never throttled which is why they need such a big bypass.

We'd have to talk to Mike Tuck about actual costs as I don't think he has determined a final selling price on them yet.

We make a bypass pretty much just like the one on that website. It's a butterfly valve with a vacuum actuator. It is small and we can supply a weldable flange to attach it to any aluminum housing.

On a throttled supercharger application you don't need a really big bypass valve regardless of HP level because the bypass only functions when the throttle is closed. On turbo and centrifugal applications the compressor is never throttled which is why they need such a big bypass.

We'd have to talk to Mike Tuck about actual costs as I don't think he has determined a final selling price on them yet.

I will check with Mike to see about dimensions as I have not a lot of space to work with. Thanks

Ken

I'm going with the Eaton remote bypass, the part number is listed on their website, haven't bought it yet so if your going to sell one, let me know because i they don't come with the flange, one would have to make it.

The size should be around 1.75" same as stock I'm guessing.

Back