power steering hose interference

QuickMustang

OK, so I'm almost finished with my engine rebuild and just have a few things left to finish up before i can start the car for the first time since I've owned it. I'm trying to put the power steering pump on and the high pressure hose is hitting the lower IC tube. I can't get the pump to go all the way on. If I disconnect the hose, it goes on perfectly fine. The end of the hose is not straight and is bent almost in a U shape. Is this supposed to be like that or is it something I did while putting the motor in? Does the hose go above the IC tube or below it.

OK, after looking up the part I found this:

http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/img/pwr/pwr-91840.jpg

Which is what the end of my hose looks like so I don't think it's bent the wrong way. Has anyone else had interference problems with the lower IC tube and the PS pressure hose?

Here are a few pics of the hose setup on a 1990. There was no problem with fit when I reinstalled everything. Looks like the hose went under the IC tube, but can't tell for sure. I will look for more pics and post if I locate some better views.

Oh - That cable in front was changed and the engine compartment cleaned more before I went back together.

How this helps
Take Care
dbd

Attachments

• PICT0025-b.JPG
    PICT0025-b.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 165
  • PICT0026-b.JPG
    PICT0026-b.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 210
  • PICT0030-b.JPG
    PICT0030-b.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 169
I'm really looking for a picture at the back of the power steering pump where the high pressure hose connects to the pump. Thanks for the help though...

It goes directly in front of the lower IC hose. I just did a spark plug change yesterday and removed the upper pipe and loosened the lower pipe for better access and the hose is right in front of the lower IC pipe.

The high-pressure line is supposed to be able to swivel a little in the fitting. Some people overtighten it, thinking it is wrong, but it should be able to swivel. I wonder if the hose could be gently rotated and could fix your interference problem?

May I hijack for a moment? I just want to check the routing of the return line. In the first picture, it appears that:

1. Flex hose comes from the rack fitting to the front of the k-member
2. Hard line goes to the passenger side of the k-member
3. Flex hose appears to run to the bumper area for the PS fluid cooler and back
4. Hard line runs across the k-member ...

Now I think the flex hose just runs up to the return fitting on the PS pump reservoir. Do I have all this right? Thanks for bearing with me...

Hijack away...I got it on last night...I think I must have bent the line a little when I was putting the engine back in...I bent it a little and it cleared...Thanks everyone..

Back