PDA

View Full Version : Tuning in St. Louis

XR7 Dave
08-28-2008, 04:22 PM
I know this is short notice and there really aren't many slots available anyway, but I will be in St. Louis for some tuning on Tuesday Sept 2. Let me know if anyone out there needs anything.

David

Kurt K
08-28-2008, 04:34 PM
And so it begins :D

CurtisPaulfrey
08-28-2008, 05:27 PM
PM sent!

if you can answer a few of those questions that would be great :eek:

Young-SC-Owner
08-28-2008, 10:31 PM
DANG i have to be in tulsa tuesday, how much you charge for a tune?

XR7 Dave
08-28-2008, 11:12 PM
DANG i have to be in tulsa tuesday, how much you charge for a tune?
Costs range from $150 to $350 + dyno time depending on what you need etc.

CurtisPaulfrey
08-29-2008, 08:15 AM
I got all the good parts from the white car swapped onto the red one :D lets see if it will hold together :rolleyes:

do we know what shop this is going to be at?

David Neibert
08-29-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm ready.

David

XR7 Dave
08-29-2008, 09:20 AM
David, can you post an address for the dyno?

David Neibert
08-29-2008, 01:32 PM
David, can you post an address for the dyno?

Pur Performance/1st Capitol 4wd
3725 Truman Blvd.
St. Charles, MO 63301
(636)946-8554

http://www.purperformance.com/home

We have the dyno reserved from Noon - 6:00 PM ....can stay till 7:00 if more time needed. Dyno cost $75 per hour.

David

SCrazy
08-29-2008, 02:30 PM
How come you never post something like "hey guys I'm gonna be in Hartford for a few days anyone need a tune"

I'm jealous.....

David Neibert
08-29-2008, 03:21 PM
How come you never post something like "hey guys I'm gonna be in Hartford for a few days anyone need a tune"

I'm jealous.....

Brian,

Have you put it on the dyno since switching to a C4 ? I'm very curious to see the manual vs. automatic rwhp numbers.

David

CurtisPaulfrey
08-29-2008, 05:29 PM
OH GOD! I just got your PM about race gas.....get back to me when you can :eek:

David Neibert
08-30-2008, 08:15 AM
OH GOD! I just got your PM about race gas.....get back to me when you can :eek:

Curtis,

Who are you talking to :confused:

David

PS: The dyno we are going to, sells race gas.

SCrazy
08-30-2008, 01:02 PM
not yet......I'll do it at the shootout if I'm on the list.

Brian,

Have you put it on the dyno since switching to a C4 ? I'm very curious to see the manual vs. automatic rwhp numbers.

David

CurtisPaulfrey
08-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Curtis,

Who are you talking to :confused:

David

PS: The dyno we are going to, sells race gas.

I was talking to XR7 Dave, he sent me a message about my new car.....I thought I had made a horrible mistake....I guess we will see what numbers I can put down on 110....I still have a drum left over from the Camaro ;)

CurtisPaulfrey
08-30-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm working to get the car running

CurtisPaulfrey
09-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Pur Performance/1st Capitol 4wd
3725 Truman Blvd.
St. Charles, MO 63301
(636)946-8554

http://www.purperformance.com/home

We have the dyno reserved from Noon - 6:00 PM ....can stay till 7:00 if more time needed. Dyno cost $75 per hour.

David

I have my car put together, what are the rules for a dyno day like this? I have never been to one? are there any tips a first time person needs to know?

do we get a time slot or is it first come first serve, I'd like to watch and see how this works before I'm the first victom

CurtisPaulfrey
09-02-2008, 02:18 PM
I had a great time, it was nice meeting everybody

St Louis People don't play around....I was the only car that didn't have an AR kit (except for the turbo car)

David N. Thanks for the tools! It would have been a bad day If I would have missed that belt.

In the end I'm very happy with the numbers that Dave got out of my car, I have to keep in mind that it was very hot (I'm also glad that he did the driving, I just know I would have screwed something up) As soon as I get a day off I'm going to catch up on some sleep

Thanks again

David Neibert
09-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Curtis,

You're welcome. Glad you were able to make it over to the dyno to get it tuned.

David

89XR7TD
09-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Hey Curtis,

Just noticed your new avitar- Looks very cool:D

Tom

Ira R.
09-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Tuning in St Louis three weeks before the Shoot Out? And no talk of breakage?? That means the boys will be hard core this year - tuned and ready to run!!

Can't wait to see the results! :D

Ira

Kurt K
09-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Tuning in St Louis three weeks before the Shoot Out? And no talk of breakage?? That means the boys will be hard core this year - tuned and ready to run!!

IraMaybe we are too depressed to talk about it:rolleyes: I've still got lots of wrenching to do to mine.

CurtisPaulfrey
09-04-2008, 03:52 PM

Ira

I have a vid of the cars runs but I don't know if the owners want me to post it up, my Dad took close ups of the engine bays and the dyno numbers :eek:

The St Louis people are very hard core......you can tell I'm the poor IL guy... ...some cars put down very decent numbers but I'll leave it up to them to talk about it

Ira R.
09-04-2008, 04:01 PM
I have a vid of the cars runs but I don't know if the owners want me to post it up, my Dad took close ups of the engine bays and the dyno numbers :eek:

The St Louis people are very hard core......you can tell I'm the poor IL guy... ...some cars put down very decent numbers but I'll leave it up to them to talk about it

I wouldn't post anything without there oki-doki. And I can wait a couple op weeks to see the guys show off. They have some serious cars where you are and it's always fun to see them in action! :D

Besides the results from last week don't matter. Braggin' rights occur at Kil Kare at the end of the month! ;) :D

Ira :D

SCme94
09-04-2008, 05:21 PM
I was never there...No matter what pics or video's show up proving otherwise.

David Neibert
09-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Ira,

After all the tuning was done, I was still down about 25 rwhp from normal (down even more prior to tuning) and lost another 50rwhp when I tried using the nitrous on my last pull. I'm 99% certian the nitrous solenoids (purge & main) are sticking from corrosion and not using them very often. I ordered replacements today.

I think the overall loss of power was weather related. 93.5 degrees with 39% humidity and density altitude of over 3000 ft, does not produce good dyno numbers. Ended up pulling 398 rwhp with a heat soaked motor.

We did get my air fuel ratio looking flat as a pancake and got a few other ignition timing related things straightened out.

David

PS: Curtis...feel free to post a video of mine.

CurtisPaulfrey
09-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Ira,

After all the tuning was done, I was still down about 25 rwhp from normal (down even more prior to tuning) and lost another 50rwhp when I tried using the nitrous on my last pull. I'm 99% certian the nitrous solenoids (purge & main) are sticking from crossion and I ordered replacements today.

I think the overall loss of power was weather related. 93.5 degrees with 39% humidity and density altitude of over 3000 ft, does not produce good dyno numbers. Ended up pulling 398 rwhp with a heat soaked motor.

We did get my air fuel ratio looking flat as a pancake and got a few other ignition timing related things straightened out.

David

PS: Curtis...feel free to post a video of mine.

I'm working on it :mad: Youtube says its to big and now I have a file problem

on a side note, my car made power every run even when it was getting hot

I would expect all of our numbers to be down because of the heat but I'm not disappointed at all. I should be in the mid 13's without a problem

Ira R.
09-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Ira,

After all the tuning was done, I was still down about 25 rwhp from normal (down even more prior to tuning) and lost another 50rwhp when I tried using the nitrous on my last pull. I'm 99% certian the nitrous solenoids (purge & main) are sticking from crossion and I ordered replacements today.

David

Well there you go. I'm glad to hear you worked out some of the issues. It's more important that the car run right then anything else.

As much fun as the dyno stuff is there are so many outside influences that are beyond ouir control. My last dyno run was in 75 and about 10% humidity. But people tend to forget it's only a number on a piece of paper. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to bring home a trophy and have something to brag about over the winter, but I wish to he$$ I could make a serious dent in those two seconds you have on me!!

And I am looking forward to trying again this year! ;)

Miller
09-04-2008, 06:10 PM
"I should be in the mid 13's without a problem"

so Rich really BS'ed yah huh.

CurtisPaulfrey
09-04-2008, 07:00 PM
"I should be in the mid 13's without a problem"

so Rich really BS'ed yah huh.

I said that as more of a joke, I would hope that a SC that puts down 330/385 would run a tad quicker than 13s

I'm not going to play number games, I have no idea what the car will run because I have not made a pass yet...I plan to go in 2 weeks

as soon as I give the car a once over to make sure it will stop after I go through the traps I will take to to the strip

Everybody racer that has owned my car has changed the setup....I changed it again added weight :rolleyes: and will see what I can do :cool:

Miller
09-04-2008, 07:15 PM
i had about same numbahz as you, car weighed 3960 with me, full tool box and spare in the trunk and did 12.97 @ 108 with pegleg and BFG DR's. you will do pretty good in a 3200 lb car ;)

CurtisPaulfrey
09-04-2008, 07:27 PM
i had about same numbahz as you, car weighed 3960 with me, full tool box and spare in the trunk and did 12.97 @ 108 with pegleg and BFG DR's. you will do pretty good in a 3200 lb car ;)

t its not going to matter what weight has been taken out of the car when I get in...its going to look like this :(

Miller
09-04-2008, 07:45 PM
so stock weight sc . 12.7's it is ! :D

tim
09-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Car weighed 3200 with me in it. 12.5, With a better tune it should do better. I would guess 12.1 if its not to hot out. I made 347 with an mp2 and a tune for pump gas. Dyno numbers dont mean everything. A bigger intercooler would help too.

ScrapSC
09-05-2008, 02:20 PM
I am with IRA and Tim on the Dyno numbers being just something on paper. I would rather have my car running good numbers at the track!!!! Besides I only have 320 rwhp;)

Ira R.
09-05-2008, 03:13 PM
I am with IRA and Tim on the Dyno numbers being just something on paper. I would rather have my car running good numbers at the track!!!! Besides I only have 320 rwhp;)

320!!!:eek: How cool is that!!! And how cute. Why the wife's '94 made that last year :D :p ::p :D

okay okay..... I know, you're almost a 1/2 second faster than me also!! :o

But enough talk. Let's go R A C I N !!

XR7 Dave
09-05-2008, 03:27 PM
But enough talk. Let's go R A C I N !!

Speak for yourself. I prefer bench racing.

Well, as long as I don't have anything to drive that is.......:rolleyes:

ScrapSC
09-05-2008, 10:02 PM
How much longer before you have that car ready Dave????