PDA

View Full Version : Long tube Header clearance

jludorf
08-28-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm just curious to see what other people have done with the steering shaft to header clearance. I notice in a tight turn there is some resistance. The headers clear the shaft by 3/16 or a bit more but when I take a tight corner to the right it seems to rub a bit. I noticed the plastic ring has melted a bit due to the extra heat. I also had to wrap the wiring for the main harness to protect them. Anything else others have experienced with the long tubes that I should check? Ground clearacne seems good but I am, not looking forward to loading up the car on a trailer for the shootout that is when all my exhaust damage occurs.

John

David Neibert
08-29-2008, 09:01 AM
John,

Mine was rubbing against the same plastic sleeve on the steering shaft. Headers didn't seal correctly because of that and had to be removed, then we also removed that area of the plastic sleeve, and put a small ding in the header to clearance it. Some wire for the ABS was also very close to the pipes and had to be relocated to keep from melting.

Also had to delete the torque strap (aftermarket) and relocate the sender for trans temp.

David

jludorf
08-30-2008, 02:56 AM
Thanks David I got under the car and there is a rubber donut on the steering shaft it had fallen down and was getting caught between the header and shaft. I removed it and every thing seems fine. I tied my abs sensor over and it has a good 6" away. Thansk for the input. Now if I could just figure out why my car is struggling to rev up at lower rpm that would be helpful.

John

David Neibert
08-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Thansk for the input. Now if I could just figure out why my car is struggling to rev up at lower rpm that would be helpful.

John

John,

When I changed to the long tube headers and larger exhaust, it threw my tune all out of whack and the car ran like crap (headers glowing, hard starts, running pig rich, stumbling coming off idle, check engine lights, ect...ect..) until adjusting the tune. Suspect you might need to do the same thing.

David

jludorf
08-30-2008, 03:18 PM
I put the new SCU engine in and the headers then had new exhaust installed and had Dave tuned it. I was driving the car and had a hose burst a few weeks ago right in the middle of moving so I just repaired it last week. It was running very well but I had belt slip so I raised the blower up 1/4"wednesday night and took it for a spin and it pulled pretty hard, the next morning I started to drive to work and the gasket for the header to rear exhaust section fell out. So I turned around and took the car home and had it fixed that evening at the shop that put the exhaust in. On the way to the shop It felt sluggish and the car was stalling when I slowed to a stop. I had the header gasket replaced and limped the car home. It was running better after adjusting the throttle position sensor but still not like it was. Dave gave me a couple things to check so I 'll see what I find later today. It has to be something simple but pretty frustrating when the problem just won't show itself.

Thansk again David for the input

John