Motorcraft spark plug wire boot colors???

dhattey

'89 SC, stock, 92Kmiles. Check engine came on, code thrown was HEGO (41 as i recall) so pulled the O2s, tested them per the site, replaced the weak one. Then i still had check engine light (and same code) but stumbled bad above 5 pounds boost. Changed old O2 back into her and it ran great for about 2 errands, then developed the same miss.

After research here decided to give her new plug wires (all but one original, had ruined #4 when I changed the plugs) and new plugs (only about 25K on them but they are Bosch platinums I put in 10 years ago (before reading about them on this site). She has been a fun car for the last several years, not a lot of miles but a lot of smiles.

Ordered up the Autolite double platinum plugs and Motorcraft OEM wires. Wires don't have cylinder numbers printed on them like originals (yes, i was hoping) but I can match them up. What i can't figure out is why two of the plug wires have light grey spark plug boots and other four are black...

Anyone ever seen this? Any idea why or what plugs the two grey boots are supposed to end up on?

Thanks in advance
Dave

Have seen it....not sure why they have different color boots. Don't forget to use some dielectric grease in those boots.

Back