lower control arms

1owner89

Hey Guys.
I'm redoing my front suspension and ran into a problem. Hopefully some one can give me a little help here.

Everything is going smoothly until I start tightening up the nut for lower control arm to the spindle. the ball joint is turning with the nut and now I can't loosen the nut either. They both just spin and the threads are just start coming through the top of the nut that was provided by TRW.

With all the experience on this board I'm sure someone else has had this happen. Any hints out there would be appreciated.

You have to load the control arm to get the ball joint to stay still. If doing it on the ground put a jack stand under the control arm and put the vehicle weight on it.
Alan

>You have to load the control arm to get the ball joint to stay still.

C-OOOO-rrect.

Depending on tools, you can use a large c-clamp to bind the bj until the nut loads...use your imagination, just don't screw something up (including stripping threads) or hurt yourself in the process. I find a good air impact makes for quick work of the issue.

I tried loading it with the jack but it still spun.

The C-clamp worked! I guess it needed more that just the vehicle weight to hold it.

You guys are the best. Sccoa puts my friend's Dodge forum to shame.

I wasn't thinking about it to mention it but I always have to put a 4x4 or something up in the fenderwell to stop travel to get enough tension. Comes to making the upper control arm stop moving too.
Glad you got it.
Alan

Back