Rear shock replacement

Tazer999

When replacing the rear shocks, is it required to do anything to secure the spring into place? I don't want to start pulling the shock out and then have the spring come out at terminal velocity towards my face

Thanks,
Ryan

Remember springs are what determine ride height completely. Shocks just help cushion the fall. I beleive the rear shocks do fully extend with the car in the air and may support the control arm from going too low, so to be safe stick a jack underneath the control arm when changing the shocks out. There will not be any spring motion from the shocks when you unbolt them though.

Chris

ive replaced the rear sub frame in mine already, so long as you dont losen any bolts to your subframe and are dealing with just the shocks then no the springs will remain in plce with a bit of preasure still on them. shock have no part to do with keeping the springs in, if they did they would break when bottomed out due to the weight of the lower and upper A-arms.

When replacing the rear shocks, is it required to do anything to secure the spring into place? I don't want to start pulling the shock out and then have the spring come out at terminal velocity towards my face

Thanks,
Ryan
You shouldn't have to touch the springs when doing rear shocks on the SC.

Back