My 91 SC Fired!!!

Specttor

Hi all, I am still rather new here. I have been working on a 91 Thunderbird SC due to a blown head gasket for about 3 weeks now. I really don't know a whole lot about the mechanics of cars(hence why it has been 3 weeks :p). Tonight I finally put on the last couple pieces and to my delight she FIRED!!! She rumble like a tractor tho. It also stalls out, I am wondering what I should be looking at next. IMO half the battle is over being that she actually will start now. Now I need to figure out how to get her running smooth any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

An IC leak will make this car run real rough and it's typically the one that bolts up to the IC intake manifold pipe that's attached to the intake manifold.

What did you do to seal the IC tubes? I used black RTV on mine and they seem to be holding up fine. Did you change anything else besides the head gaskets? Spark plugs, Wires, O2 sensors, etc. The two vaccum lines I found easy to miss are the one on the bypass valve and the one on the intake tube(underneath between air filter box and throttle body).

Forgive me but would anyone have a picture of what you guys are talking about I do not know all the names yet. By IC are you referring to intercooler?

Yep, IC= intercooler. Every connection needs to be sealed with something. I also use black RTV. I clean everything up with brake cleaner and put a paper thin coat on one side of each connection and let it dry overnight. This leaves a permanent seal and has lasted over 3 years and two removals. If it started easily then it does sound like a vacuum leak. Check all hoses, vac lines, pvc valve/connection, supercharger top (must also be sealed use copper RTV same method as above), all the intercooler tube connections, manifold connections, and any thing else I left out. Basically, if there is a seal or hose that doesn’t hold back water/oil then check it.

Keep her alive, this is the stage where a lot of SCs’ get sold for next to nothing due to one small overlooked problem.

Back